"Sputnik One" - Hand Held Analog Synthesizer - Cir

Started by morganpedals, August 06, 2004, 01:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morganpedals

Ebay Item - 3739772506   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3739772506

Has anyone seen this? I was looking for a rack synth to run my bass guitar through, and came across this.

mp3 sample - CAUTION- HIGH FREQ/VOLUME - TURN DOWN YOUR HEADPHONES FIRST -  
http://www.ebnmusic.com/sputnikone_sample.mp3

toneman

interesting item
has 2 oscillators inside.
don't think it's 4 guitar.
afn
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

morganpedals

I think this is a cool sounding noise maker in a small box.

Are there any schematics of something similar?

mikeb

Sounds like a cheapie 555 or 4151 (see commonsound atoner) - based device to me......

What do you mean by 'run your bass through a rack synth'? I might be able to help you out, as I've been doing some work on this recently (got hold of a Yamaha G50 pitch-midi converter + bass pickup yesterday).

If you really want to use an analog synth, that means pitch -> CV conversion and creating gate / trigger signals from your audio signal. The biggest problem here is the pitch -> CV extraction. Is that what you want? Or is it that you just want to run your bass through some filters?

Mike

travissk

If you're just looking for some filters,

Boss Bass Synth

Digitech X-Series Bass Synth Wah
Demo - http://www.digitech.com/products/BassSW.htm
Currently there is a $20 mail-in rebate on these

Line6 FM4 [stompbox] or Filter Pro [rackmount]
Manual at line6.com, demo sounds at musiciansfriend.com. This gives you envelope filters as well as synths, but I've heard some of the synths don't track as well for bass as they do for guitar... and the guitar ones aren't incredibly accurate in the first place. I've got a broken FM4 in the mail to me as of today :)

Alesis Philtre is either $30 or $40 at musician's friend right now; I haven't heard it but a lot of people seem to like it for the price.

Then there is more expensive stuff like a Sherman filterbank...

If you're looking for synths, then mike is right and you're going to need some special (and expensive...) hardware... does Roland make a midi bass pickup like their guitar one?

-Travis

morganpedals

Quote from: mikeb
What do you mean by 'run your bass through a rack synth'?

I guess I am talking more about filterish sounds. I like the sound clips of the Digitech Bass Synth Wah, but I'm more interested in making something myself. I want something with knobs to fiddle with, and I want to mount it in a console with some other effects. I also don't want anything too complex. I am playing with the uglyface right now, and that is pretty cool. I get a pretty cool Rage Against the Machine sound.

I really like slow filter sweeps. I am looking for something for background noises, not for leads. I would like to maybe add a foot control for some sweeps, etc. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I am also going to build a delay and run a few effects through a feedback looper and see how that sounds. I have a set of organ pedals that I play through that give me a constant bass drone, and I would like to be able to make them sound a little moogish sometimes.

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: mikebSounds like a cheapie 555 or 4151 (see commonsound atoner) - based device to me......

Yep, they are a dime a dozen these days.

-Colin