Bobtavia First Build Report

Started by tungngruv, August 06, 2004, 09:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

Ok, I made a Phillip Bryant RangeBlaster. It's really close to working but I have a real bad hum problem. I think it's a ground somewhere. As I was completing it (trying anyway with help from Phillip, great guy!!), I started on a Bobtavia with the Spinal Tap Switch. This thing fired up on the first try plus sounds REALLY good! The Spinal Tap Mod has kind of an "arpeggiated" effect, if you hit one note, three or four more develop out of it. My question is when I bought the parts, I bought a .022 uF cap instead of an .0022 uF cap. I tacked it in and like I said, the thing sounds good. Would it sound better and is it OK with the .0022 uF or should I it be? Thanks

csj

Yes, Phillip is a great guy.

Man, I love this pedal too. Way under-rated. I use it following what some would think as the world's crappiest pedal - the Danelectro Black Coffee. They've become an inseparable pair. I drove it with a bunch of different dirt boxes before. When I'd finally gotten around to opening the Black Coffee, which I'd bought probably 2 years earlier and never opened (I do that alot...3 of the Digitech X-series are sitting here too, unopened), and paired it with the Bobtavia I was amused and happy about how huge they sounded together. Way, way over-the-top heavy (but not mushy at stage volume) which, when you play in a C&W band like I usually do can be a kick in the pants head turner when you start the 3rd set of the night and "Betty's Bluegrass" biker bar is lubed up and ready to roll.

If the "wrong" cap works for you and you like it leave it in and just go for it. Change it later when/if you decide to get around to it. Depending on where it sits in the circuit (I don't remember) it's probably just letting more low end through anyway.

Drive it with something raunchy, roll your tone knob back, sweep pick arpeggios above the 12th fret... just too cool for words.

Transmogrifox

would you guys post the link to the Bobtavia so I don't have to go looking?

thanks
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

jsleep

I'm working on Doug to find the original schematic :-)  You can find an "Easy build" type schematic on my site at
hjttp://www.generalguitargadgets.com  under  Cross References and the Schematics.

JD Sleep
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

jsleep

BTW,  for others, I'll post a layout and project for it too soon.  I wanted to locate or recreate the original schematic before I post the project

JD

tungngruv

Right JD, that's where I got the "easy build" schematic. I think this site and GeneralGuitarGadgets are the only ones I've been on in a couple months now. So much to do, so little time   :lol:  Great job guys!

jmusser

I know a little bit about the Easy Build Schematics, because I created them! It tickles me that people are using them, and they are being useful. I just happened to believe that first time builders without much schematic reading ability, would like some help getting started by being able to see the physical components, and then seeing what the symbol was on the actual schematic, to get the feel of reading them. It looks like it's working. The Bobtavia was my first box, and it's a screamin demon in a box! If you turn the gain way down, you can get some weird ring mod stuff going on too. As I told Aron I am getting back into this after quite sometime away from it, cause it's a blast to create something an bring it to life. Its true American instant gradification! My next project will be the Orange Sunshine, as I want a nasty 60s style fuzz. I want to stay active on this forum, so I will be checking back from time to time. It's good to be back.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

jsleep

jmusser

JD right? It has been a spell. I can't really remember how long it has been really, but I'd say, at least 2 years, and maybe 3. At the point where I got out of this because of my family problems at the time, Joe Gagan had done the Sky Ripper, and something that had a voltmeter in it, and the Easy Face. Someone did a Brown Sound in a box, there was an Interlarder (which I have one half built somewhere), and Aron's Shakka Bradda 3. I told Aron, Id like to make a "dirty fuzz" and he suggested the Orange Sunshine or a Maestro. I'm going to try to get my "honey dos" done while I'm off this week, and make the Orange Sunshine. I believe there's a sample somewhere here, so I'm going to go now and find it. It's good to be back! I noticed somebody mentioned the Black Coffee. That is a geat box! My wife got it for me a year ago, and I use it to play Iomi stuff with. It's a real growler.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".