News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

XLR Jack

Started by smallbearelec, August 07, 2004, 12:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

I got a request for one of these for a direct box from a Canadian customer. Would like to add one to the stock list and need a recommendation for one that would be "most commonly wanted." Neutrik or similar. Suggestion pls?

I am working on new stock list now and hope to have it done next week. Got about 80% done over shutdown, now have to scramble again for time to do the rest.

Regards

SD

petemoore

Every time I've tried using XLR's, the only problem I've had is with my soldering skills, and a very old. slightly rusty example.
 Other than that I remember them as being a very reliable connecting/disconnecting device, having tested them in WC Scenarios with other types, they performed so that I never had to really consider them as a fault.
 So XLR's to me are  8)  [for the most part]...
 Perhaps someone else can give a more critical field report involving brands etc.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mike Burgundy

I have extensive experience with Neutrik XLR's (both chassis and plugs) and don't want anything else. Extremely reliable and rugged, good contact, good cable fastener... There's nothing that stands up to pro abuse the way these do IMHO/experience.
Neutrik also carries a female chassis connector that accepts BOTH XLR AND stereojackplug!! While this is a very cool gimmick, I tend to leave these alone since they are a tad more vulnerable.
We use the DL series, sometimes P (small size!). I'd probably vote for DL series as the most common one.
Jack, cinch and speakon connectors (they have an all-metal one!) are all extremely good as well.

hih

space_ryerson

I agree with everyone else; Neutrik is a good choice. You might also want to stock these 'multi-plugs', that are both XLR and 1/4" mono. They seem to becoming more and more common in the recording world. I don't know who makes them, though.

bwanasonic

How easily do these mount to an enclosure? I've eyed a few projects that require XLRs.

Kerry M

space_ryerson

It looks like it's 2 screws connecting it to the faceplate for both the multi jacks and the regular XLR's.

look here

smallbearelec

Thanks! So for example Mouser # 568-NC3MD-L-1 for male? Would a male or female type be more likely to be used for panel mount?

space_ryerson

Yep, that's a male jack. It depends on whether your jack will be used for input, or output. Judging by my equipment, females are used for input jacks; and males, for output jacks. If someone is building a DI, then I would use a 1/4'' for input, and a male xlr for output.

Gilles C

Yeap! I used Neutrik for all my guitar cables. And a female XLR for my active FET guitar cable.

And I began using Neutrik for my effects projects.

So you can't go wrong with them. I'm also about to buy male XLR jacks for a DI box I have in mind as a future project.

space_ryerson

Switchcraft isn't supposed to be bad either.

Mike Burgundy

Space-r: Switchcraft is great too, but a little difficult to get in Europe. I've used both, and found them to be at the same level (jacks, that is - I've never seen a Switchcraft XLR over here)
Steve:
well, both. Female for input, male for output. Depends on the application what you need the most - an x-channel mic pre wants equal amounts, a splitter more males, a mixer more females. Panel-mount, as in front-panel mount, would be mostly input so that's female.
The combined XLR/jack is listed at the Neutrik site as the "combo" line. But, once again, these are a littlen fragile on contacts and wear (although still good).