What are some good delay stompboxes?

Started by mindwave_21, August 08, 2004, 02:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles C

Quote from: freebird1127I kinda like that Dan-O mini pedal they have there... not the Dan Echo but the little one... it's super cheap, like half the price of the echo but still sounds pretty great...

QuoteI heard my friend play some Pink Floyd with a Dan.

I was also talking about the mini there.

The Tone God

The mini-Dano delay is called the PB & J. I have to agree that its a great little pedal. It uses the PT239x ICs. It does about 800ms I belive. While it is not road worth with its plastic case, exposed knobs, and small footswitches, IMHO its the best bang for your buck. Sounds pretty good.

Andrew

mindwave_21

Ok, so I think I've decided to get the dd-3 since it will run me under $100 new and it's a boss.  I think I like the 800ms delay, as it's giving me the kind of ambient wash I'm looking for, but I haven't tried it through my rig yet.  So with that said, anybody know where I can find info on how a delay pedal works so I can try to think of some mods, or are there mods out there.  It seems people want the decay to be more analog like from this pedal, which I guess means the treble cuts off faster than the mids and bass.  I haven't used much delay yet in any of my songs, but since I think I'm going to be the only guitarist, I'm going to need some extra depth to fill in the mix with the bass and drums (although getting a keyboard player would be better for me  :wink: )

Mark Hammer

Simplest thing to do in most basic  delay pedals is to find the back of the repeat and delay-mix pots and tack on a small-to-medium value cap from the input of the pot to ground to roll off highs.  The exact cap value would depend on what you want and what the pot value is, but a safe place to start is often with a .01uf (10nf) cap, moving up in value from there if it isn't as rounded-off as you like, or down from there (i.e., smaller values) if it is too dark or mute.

Treble cutting on the mix control yields a different effect than treble cutting on the repeat/regen control.  On the repeat control, each iteration gets darker and muter.  This is extremely helpful for keeping the repeats in the background distinct from the foreground.  It really helps to declutter things when you have multiple repeats at longer delays where they might be overlaid on top of subsequent riffs.

cd

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Guyatone MD3.  Compact, nice tone, long max delay time, not too expensive.  The MD2 is very good as well if you can find it.

mindwave_21

Oooh...This guyatone md3 looks pretty damn good.  Anybody want to compare it to the dd3?  Anyone?  I'm a little worried about the build quality (well, actually just the housing).  I don't think I'm going to get many battery problems with either unit, because I'm planning on getting a  Visual Sound 1 spot to power my pedals (screw that $30 boss adaptor; it doesn't even have a daisy chain included).  Is this md3 claiming to be an analog delay simulator or a plain old digital delay (did they try to make the delays analog with some rolloff?  I know they say they don't, but I want to hear from people that have tried it.)

cd

The MD3 is a no-frills delay.  Don't worry about the build quality, I've had a Guyatone OD2 for 2 years with no trouble.  Just because it's small doesn't mean it's flimsy (it's not a Dano pedal, after all).

It's a plain old digital delay, no fancy wannabe analog stuff.

rufus2646

even though the $140 was hard to part with, i've been happy with the dd5.  its no space echo, but then again neither is my 2 cassette-deck boombox delay and i still love it! i'm glad no one's been pushing the line 6 stuff. . . .

-rufus

mindwave_21

Thanks everyone for the advice!  After listening to soundclips at the companies' websites and musician's friend, I decided to go with the Guyatone MD3.  The dd3 had way too much synthetic ping on the delays, and the guyatone's max is over 3 times that of the dd3.  Thanks again!