burns tri-sonic

Started by thomas2, August 08, 2004, 12:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomas2

ok.. i know this has nothing to do with stomp boxes...  :lol:
i was just wondering if anyone has a burns tri-sonic pickup.. i need the dimensions of it. i need to know the size and the diameter of the six holes in the pickup cover.. i'm planning of making a brian may guitar for myself, but there's no chance in hell i'm gonna buy those expensive pickups.. so i'm gonna try making them myself or getting them made by the local luthier..  :wink:
tee se itse tai kuole

Michael P.

Thomas, do you know about the Adeson pickups?
They actually look MORE like original Burns than the contemporary Burns, except for not having the logo on them.

http://www.adeson.co.uk/

The problem will be the magnets. Both Adeson and Greg Fryer, the luthier who restored May's guitar several years ago, had to get these odd ceramic magnets custom made.

Otherwise, they are a simple tape-wrapped air cole pickup and, myths aside, May's are probably stock.

Even if you don't order the Adesons, you may wish to contact Adrian there with any questions you have about dimension.

Good luck on your guitar!

Ge_Whiz

Michael, thanks for that link. What a price! I might just have to get a set of those for my hot-rodded Marquee...

thomas2

thanks man! i still think that the price is too high for some magnets and copper wire though..  :lol:  gonna try making them..
tee se itse tai kuole

bwanasonic

Quote from: thomasthanks man! i still think that the price is too high for some magnets and copper wire though..  :lol:  gonna try making them..

You're not paying for the magnets and copper wire though - you're paying for the knowledge, experience and labor of the people who make the pickup.  I think you might change your mind about the price after you've tried making a matched set of 3 pickups that sound good, let alone look as good the Adesons.  Good luck! :D

Kerry M

thomas2

i'm a metalworker.. so making them look as good isn't a problem.. i know i may have to throw away at least ten pickups before i get them sounding good :D luckily one local luthier makes very good pickups.. maybe he could make a set or two for me  :lol:
tee se itse tai kuole