How to turn a guitar fuzz into a bass fuzz ?

Started by magge, August 08, 2004, 04:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magge

hi,

first i'm new and i'm from germany, so i apologize for all grammatical and spelling mistakes still to come :)
so, i want to build a fuzz based on this schematic...
now heres the point...i read somewehere that you can easily turn a guitar fuzz into a bass fuzz...the only thing to do is to make the filters also pass low frequencies...now what is the easiest way to get this done...i'll build this one with my brother because he is way more experienced than i am

so thanx

Hal

yea just increase the values of the input output caps.  Thats really easy with the multiface circuit, as they're socketed.  Something from .1uf to about .5 uf might be good.  Just play around...

markusw

Also add a dry/wet blend pot to mix in some straight signal in order to keep the punch!! I just did a Great cheddar with this option and IMHO it is an absolutely necessary feature.

remmelt

wet/dry pot.. that's interesting.
how do you build that?
is it just a pot between tip in and tip out? that wouldn't work if the circuit inverses the phase, right? usualy the output on a distortion pedal is lots higher than the straight signal. would the clean signal be helped with a boost of some kind?

isn't that what the sparkle drive does? i wouldn't know from looking at the schematic, i'm just guessing from the description on the site.

Bent Penguin

Quote from: markuswAlso add a dry/wet blend pot to mix in some straight signal in order to keep the punch!! I just did a Great cheddar with this option and IMHO it is an absolutely necessary feature.
What did you use for the blend part? I just tried a BassThru and didn't have any luck. I'm going to try again with the Splitter-Blend 2.0 and delete the phase switching.

Thanks

markusw

I started with a JFET input buffer. Then the signal is split to the original GC input buffer (+GC circuit without volume pot) and a duplicate of it (for the dry signal). To blend the two sinals I used a 100 k pot going into an inverting opamp stage (with a 500 k pot in the feedback loop as a volume control). Finally, the signal is reinverted by an additional inverting opamp stage. I suppose there are easier wasy to do this but I did not check it on breadboard and I wanted to be sure to get it working in the first run. And fortunately it did.

Bent Penguin

Thanks. I'm still in the cut and paste stage as opposed to roll your own. The splitter blend 2 does seem easier but that may be because it has pictures ;)

petemoore

I'm having a tuff time visualizing from print...is there a schematic or portions pertaining to blending that I could see how the wiring would go In a FF?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Bent Penguin

Here's what I'm currently planning to try. Use this but make the green return the same as the red return for simplicity. Between one set of send and returns add a fuzz, between the others just a jumper. Should work ;)

http://www.runoffgroove.com/splitter-blend.html

I'm thinking of throwing the whisker biscuit in for the fuzz. I tried something similar with the bassthru/moosapotomus-paralooper and a Sili-Face2 but it died on the breadboard and I just made the fuzz without the blend.

markusw

For the dry channel you could actually ommit the U2 stage and the 1M R to ground after U1 and go directly fom the 10 µF cap after U1 into the blend pot.  For the wet channel it depends on the circuit you want to implement. For a fuzz leave off the 10 µF cap after U1 and the 1M to ground and go directly into the 2,2 µF cap of the fuzz circuit. The drawback is that with this blender you will have no volume control for the dry channel, but it should work.

markusw

This should work. Ommit the fuzz vol pot and the output cap. Maybe some one can check.

Good luck.

Markus

nofretsplz

Before going through the effort of building a bass fuzz, it's a good idea to go to a music store, try out some effects, and get a really good idea of just what type of distortion you want. My first suggestion would be the Rodent (a.k.a. the ProCo Vintage Rat). This needs no blend circuit, since there is no loss of lower frequencies on this pedal. BTW, this is the same pedal that an entire generation of grunge bass players used...after several builds, it's the only bass fuzz I use.

Hope this helps,
James :D