Opinion on a Decal for my Tele

Started by phillip, August 08, 2004, 09:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip

I'm doing yet more custom mods to my Telecaster, on top of the complete electronic and pickup overhaul/modifications and control cavity shielding with copper tape.  Now I'm gonna go for Gibson medium jumbo frets to make fretting and string bending easier along with a couple of other small mods to make playing generally more enjoyable.

I also thought that I would add a decal to the guitar to make it stand out from the crowd a little.  I've put together a GIF image that shows roughly how it will look.  My Telecaster is a 2003 Sage Green Metallic MIM, chrome hardware, mint green pickguard, and black Gibson SG "bell" knobs (with silver top inserts with the words "volume" and "tone" and numbered 0-10).  The decal is a "sun", which will be placed at the top "horn" of the body...Analog Mike would like the sun decal, I think ;)

Of course the edges of the decal will continue down under the pickguard so those two gaps on each end won't be there.  The color will be a minty green to roughly match the pickguard.

EDIT:  Fixed the "gaps" on each side of the decal, so the ends go all the way to the pickguard.

Phillip

phillip

Okay, here's a version that I think looks better.  I increased the arc of the sun so that it's more rounded.

Phillip

petemoore

Can you Give a pic of the guitar as it was or is?
 Could be cool, it's hard to envision what the resultant contrasts and colors would look like,
 Looks like theres an explosion coming out of the pick guard from the neck pickup  :P  8)
 Takes guts I never had to refinish a guitar with a design.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gez

Cool, what software did you use to do the graphics?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

phillip

I'll try to get a picture of my Tele.

For the design I went to the Mr. Gearhead site, where Fender keeps all of their data sheets and such, and found a data sheet for the MIM Telecaster...I think it was called the Parts Layout Diagram or something like that.  The PDF file has an entire Telecaster, so I just zoomed in on the upper body and did a print screen to take a screen shot.  Then I used Paint to save it as a GIF, loaded the GIF into PowerPoint and combined about 3 or 4 different cliparts to make the sun design.  After I had the logo placed where I wanted it, I did another print screen and used Paint to clean up the edges since PowerPoint doesn't do that very well.

I found this company in England that makes vinyl and color decal graphics for guitars:

http://www.gsrguitars.co.uk/

The vinyl doesn't come in the minty green color that I want, so it looks like I would have to go with a color decal instead.

Phillip

phillip

Okay, here's a shot of my Tele's body:

Phillip

petemoore

Looks tooo nice the way it IS...you asked for opinions...
 I wouldn't deface it if it were mine.
 You probably already did...DAFT...so can I see a pick Now???
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

WorkBench

I could not blemish it.  the graphic you have is cool, and it does look cool the way you posted it, but.....The Tele looks awesome as is!!!!
Chris
All good things in all good time