Thickenning and Beefing up a Dunlop Crybaby sound??

Started by Duke of Metal, August 09, 2004, 02:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke of Metal

hey guys,
As Much as I like using my Dunlop Crybaby Wah, somtimes i feel that its sound can be "beefed" and "thickened" up a more.  Is there are certain mods that I can do to achieve that??

I've already moded it for True Bypass and the noise factor has been reduced.

If i remember correctly, its revision G. The new models with the PCB mounted jacks. Its a GCB-95.

any info would help.

thanks,
Duke

Duke of Metal

ok.. i found this website:
http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htm

Which of those mods would I do to achieve what I want?  I know for sure I am gonna try this:
QuoteI wanted the sweep to sound a little thicker and I wanted a little more bass and midrange response. So I changed the sweep cap from the stock 0.01uF to a 0.012uF. (The sweep cap is between the emitter of Q2 and the inductor) This gives a little more bass response and makes it sound fuller on the high end without sacrificing the treble response too much.

Anything else??

thanks,
Duke

jimmy

theres a site on this everyone uses... hold on, ill track it down.

i found it but it seems to be down. have a look at the tonepad wah file, it has some tips and tricks in there. also check out the Technology Of Wah Pedals at Geofex. that should to the trick. dont forget the ROG one as well.

cheers
Jim
"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust

Duke of Metal

Quote from: jimmytheres a site on this everyone uses... hold on, ill track it down.

i found it but it seems to be down. have a look at the tonepad wah file, it has some tips and tricks in there. also check out the Technology Of Wah Pedals at Geofex. that should to the trick. dont forget the ROG one as well.

cheers
Jim
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info.. i'll definitly check those sites.

by the way.. i read on that website above and this website:
http://members.chello.se/pastorn/fx/mods/dunlop.htm

there is a gain mod for the Crybaby. Is that gain as in distortion?? or gain as in output/level??

thanks,
Duke

jimmy

Gain... funnily enough, it means more output/level AND more distortion. as in, yes, it will raise the output but at the cost of distorting the sound.

cheers
Jim

tubes or bust

Duke of Metal

Quote from: jimmyGain... funnily enough, it means more output/level AND more distortion. as in, yes, it will raise the output but at the cost of distorting the sound.

cheers
Jim
ahhhh ok!! I guess that wont do for me.  Would it be possible to increase the output without having to make the sound distored??

this is what it says:
QuoteFinally, I replaced the stock 470 ohm resistor at the emitter of Q1 with a 270 ohm resistor. This gives the circuit a little more gain, and it also helps to increase bass response some, too. Now my volume doesn't drop off the way it did before I made these modifications

Maybe replace the 470ohm resistor with a 370 ohm instead of 270?? or a different value??

It would definitly be nice to give the Crybaby a little bit more output level without distorting it.

thanks,
Duke

jimmy

i suppose you could add an output gain stage instead of an output buffer... just set the gain kinda low as to avoid too much distortion.

or

you could add a trimpot in place of the resistor you mentioned to dial in a compromise between level and distortion. who know, you might even like what you hear...

cheers
Jim

tubes or bust

Duke of Metal

Quote from: jimmyi suppose you could add an output gain stage instead of an output buffer... just set the gain kinda low as to avoid too much distortion.

or

you could add a trimpot in place of the resistor you mentioned to dial in a compromise between level and distortion. who know, you might even like what you hear...

cheers
Jim
Actully thats another thing.. i removed the buffer section from my crybaby anyways. After i did that and the true bypass mod, i noticed the noise to be reduced.

I like the idea of the trimpot instead of the resistor.  Any idea what value and type trimpot I will need??

I guess I can always try the Bass/Mids mod and then try the more mids mod and see how that sounds.  Usually the more mids you add to somthing, the "louder" it'll sound i guess.

thanks,
Duke

Lonestarjohnny

a very good mod is to put the Vintage Fazal inductor in your dunlop, CE Distribution sell these.
Johnny

Paul Marossy

The link that Fret Wire posted is where I got the info to do my Cry Baby mod. I was pretty happy with it after the mods, until I stuck a vintage circuit in the shell.

Duke of Metal

hey guys,
thanks for the help and the links.. I am gonna do the following mods:

QuoteI wanted the sweep to sound a little thicker and I wanted a little more bass and midrange response. So I changed the sweep cap from the stock 0.01uF to a 0.012uF. (The sweep cap is between the emitter of Q2 and the inductor) This gives a little more bass response and makes it sound fuller on the high end without sacrificing the treble response too much.

QuoteTo increase the midrange, I replaced the stock 1.5K resistor between the base of Q2 and the inductor to a 2.2K resistor. This also helps to smooth out the response between the bass and treble.

QuoteNext we'll replace the 68K input resistor with a 47K resistor. This will give a little volume boost to go along with the true bypass switching.

Will let you guys know how it sounds after. I will try to make clips of before and after.

Duke

space_ryerson

there's this one, and this one as well.

edit: and here's the Geofex link.

Duke of Metal

Quote from: jimmyyou could add a trimpot in place of the resistor you mentioned to dial in a compromise between level and distortion. who know, you might even like what you hear...

cheers
Jim
Hi Jimmy,
I have 2 of those PCB Mount trimpots. They are blue with while dial in the middle. Thing is, they have 3 lugs at the bottom. which 2 do I connect to the PCB instead of the resistor??  or do I get special ones with only 2 lugs??

The ones I have are 20k. is that too much??

thanks,
Duke

jimmy

hi

with the trimpots, solder the middle leg and one of the outer legs together and then... you have two lugs!! ta da!

20k is probably a little bit bit yeah... id go with a 1k if you could track it down. you COULD use a 20k but itd only have the desirable result down the very bottom end of the rotation and it would be VERY fiddly.

good luck
Jim

tubes or bust

Danny G

Also do the voicing mod.  Sounds good i conjunction with all the other Crybaby mods.  I get lots of comments on my wah pedal (I did the TB, voicing, sweep cap, gain and midrange mods to it).

Duke of Metal

Quote from: Danny GAlso do the voicing mod.  Sounds good i conjunction with all the other Crybaby mods.  I get lots of comments on my wah pedal (I did the TB, voicing, sweep cap, gain and midrange mods to it).
should I put a trimpot instead of the resistor too and be able to tweek it??

Duke

Duke of Metal

Quote from: Danny GAlso do the voicing mod.  Sounds good i conjunction with all the other Crybaby mods.  I get lots of comments on my wah pedal (I did the TB, voicing, sweep cap, gain and midrange mods to it).
Hey Danny,
Regarding the Vocing mod... Do i add a 1k (or different value??) trimpot instead of the 33k resistor on this picture??

Thanks,
Duke