Another Beautiful Pedal

Started by Marcus Dahl, August 09, 2004, 02:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus Dahl

I just recently finished another Top Shelf Special for a customer in Japan. I'll be sending it out to him as soon as I get the manual done for him this week. I think that it came out beautiful in what I like to call '69 Ford Galaxy Green. Take a look.
http://homebrewelectronics.tripod.com/HomeBrew/TPSpecial.html
Marcus Dahl

PB Wilson

NICE! I like both pedals shown on that page. What's your secret? Is it a combination of paint colors? I'm still struggling on getting a durable, defect-free paint finish and really appreciate a smooth, deep finish on someone's pedal. I'm thinking of going to make textured aluminum finishes with clear coats to keep my sanity. Keep it up.

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: PB WilsonNICE! I like both pedals shown on that page. What's your secret? Is it a combination of paint colors? I'm still struggling on getting a durable, defect-free paint finish and really appreciate a smooth, deep finish on someone's pedal. I'm thinking of going to make textured aluminum finishes with clear coats to keep my sanity. Keep it up.
I'm using 2 colors to get that color. There is really no secret to it. I just watched all of those biker and hot rod shows on discovery.  :D
Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl

Oh, and the more clear you use the more glossy the finish. What I do is lay down about 3 coats of clear, and take 2000 grit sand paper to it getting as many of the imperfections out within reason. Clean it (either by dusting it off or using a damp towel), shoot it again, and repeat the process as needed. When I'm done shooting I put it in my oven around 80F after an hour I up it to 150 over night. Then I take a rubbing compound to it and turtle wax...
Marcus Dahl

PB Wilson

Wow! You really go the extra mile to get great results. Great work and thanks for sharing. You and Leo Fender really put the auto finishes to great use.

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: PB WilsonWow! You really go the extra mile to get great results. Great work and thanks for sharing. You and Leo Fender really put the auto finishes to great use.

You would be surprised at who all uses auto paints. I've been using the Duplicolor stuff out of convieniance. The one thing I have learned is to take your time. It'll come out right if you do that....
Marcus Dahl

remmelt

what happens when you don't toast the box in the oven? will the colors be ugly? will it be less durable?
i do not think my girlfriend would agree with me baking my pedals in our oven right next to the pizza....

i was thinking of getting a spraycan of auto lacquer in color and one in clear. couple of layers both with sanding in between. that would do the job, right?

petemoore

Fortunately we saved our 'old decrepetized' toaster oven. One of these set outside on a clear day or night does the job of drying nicely and doesn't contaminate your toast or the atmosphere in your dwelling.
 I see them at Goodwill and Garbage [Garage] sales for 1 er 2 buxx..just start pointing out the lack of cleaning skills and the built up grease spatters and you can probly talk em down on the price even further... :D
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

onboard

"Tennessee, Tennessee, 'aint no place I'ld rather be,
  baby won't you carry meeeeeeee, back to Tennessee"

Sorry, couldn't be helped.

Really, the colors & finishes on your boxes look great! Duplicolor is a pretty great line. Ever thought of trying their 2 or 3 step color-shift kit?

Just curious, do you like acrylic or laquer clearcoats? The overnight bake has got to do wonders.

I just got a chuckle imagining hovering over a Hammond box with a power buffer :lol:
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: remmeltwhat happens when you don't toast the box in the oven? will the colors be ugly? will it be less durable?
i do not think my girlfriend would agree with me baking my pedals in our oven right next to the pizza....

i was thinking of getting a spraycan of auto lacquer in color and one in clear. couple of layers both with sanding in between. that would do the job, right?

If you don't bake it, it could take up to 6 weeks to dry completely. I live in a very humide part of the USA, and baking is practical. Also aresol paints should be baked. If they aren't, I've heard from pro painters at large musical instrument companies, they won't ever dry completely. I use a Sunbeam toaster I bought a Wal-Mart for $20.

If you are to use spray can auto paint, you must put sown a primer base first, then your color, then your clear. You should sand bettween each layer. Go buy yourself a cheap toaster oven. Never sacrifice the pizza.
Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: onboard"Tennessee, Tennessee, 'aint no place I'ld rather be,
  baby won't you carry meeeeeeee, back to Tennessee"

Sorry, couldn't be helped.

Really, the colors & finishes on your boxes look great! Duplicolor is a pretty great line. Ever thought of trying their 2 or 3 step color-shift kit?

Just curious, do you like acrylic or laquer clearcoats? The overnight bake has got to do wonders.

I just got a chuckle imagining hovering over a Hammond box with a power buffer :lol:

To cool. I remember that song from back in the '70's. It's probably older? I think like that every day I get up. There ain't no place I'd rather be.
I've thought about the color shift packs and may do one on my next order.

For my clear I use Duplicolor Truck, Van, & Suv Clear Top Coat. It is an acrylic laquer. What is nice about it is you can put a coat on, bake for 15, put another coat on, bake for 15, do a quick sand, put a coat on, and repeat. When doing this I have the oven or toaster set at around 80. I can put it in right away. The process is called flashing.

Yes I've thought about a power buffer, and then I said the same thing to myself... :lol:
Marcus Dahl

troubledtom

i wish somebody would show me how to paint :cry:  no, really, nice job marcus :twisted:
          peace,
                - tom

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: troubledtomi wish somebody would show me how to paint :cry:  no, really, nice job marcus :twisted:
          peace,
                - tom

Thanks Tom. I'm still learning my self. I wish I knew how to pinstip.  :wink:
Marcus Dahl

AL

Really nice looking pedal Marcus. Great Job 8) So is that a 390 or a 289 under the hood?

AL

smashinator

Hey Marcus - have you checked your local library for auto painting books?  I've discovered mine has a WEALTH of information on just about everything (incl. auto painting), plus if the local branch doesn't have it, one of the other county branches will send it over.

Libraries rule.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: ALReally nice looking pedal Marcus. Great Job 8) So is that a 390 or a 289 under the hood?

AL

It's tricked out 302. I wanted a 351, but couldn't really afford the blower.  :lol:
Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: smashinatorHey Marcus - have you checked your local library for auto painting books?  I've discovered mine has a WEALTH of information on just about everything (incl. auto painting), plus if the local branch doesn't have it, one of the other county branches will send it over.

Libraries rule.

I've got a couple of books and have checked stuff from the library. Now it's just experience. (The Best Teacher) I've got to get in those hours to understand it better. I have found that I don't have a steady hand at all. So me doing any pinstripping is out of the question. I'm surprised that I can solder with the way my hands shake.  :roll: I guess it's just like anything else. Practice. I have plans for more radical paint jobs. I really do like simple and eligant though. I've got friends that can do bursts and fake quilt tops. That is on the list too.
Marcus Dahl

StephenGiles

Great looking pedals, but........"versital pedal".....please explain to a humble Englishman!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: StephenGilesGreat looking pedals, but........"versital pedal".....please explain to a humble Englishman!
Stephen

It's your basic clipper like a DoD 250 or a TS9. It's just moded. The tone is backwards for a different pot taper. It gives it a little bit sweeter highs and a tighter bass responce than how I do them on my Black Label Specials. Then it has a diode clipping mod to get harder or softer clipping. It has current control. This is to emulate a dieing battery..., And on the inside it has an offset null control. That way I can tune it in to what my ear thinks it should sound like. The offset null lets you adjust positive and negative voltage to the op-amp. It is very minimal in how it sounds, but it can be used to get a tad more grit or smooth out the sound.  8)

All of those mods gives up a lot of different tones and sounds. Everything from a farty fuzz to a Hi-watt like gain....
Marcus Dahl