The "Woody" or other acoustic sims?

Started by jimbob, August 09, 2004, 05:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I need to build something that gives me that nice warm acoustic sound..Though i have tons of effects--I do not have that one and must build. I canr seem to find the Woody. Last time i did i couldnt dwnld it.
any ideas?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

smoguzbenjamin

I had the woody on my breadboard for a while when I just started out with pedalbuilding and I never got round to perfing it up and putting it in a box. But it gives a nice warm sparkly sound and I liked it. Of course, (to quote Mark Hammer) simulating an acoustic guitar is a little more complex than a bass boost and a little treble fuzz and a phase shift. But this goes a long way. 8)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

jimbob

I cant think of anyone/where else that i can find this..I think M Hammer made this but forgot what his website was.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Alpha579

yeh, im in intrested in that schematic too, sounds like a cool build...
Alex Fiddes

aron

jimbob

vvvasss

MAKE BOSS-AC2!!!That is true acousti sound!!!

David

Quote from: vvvasssMAKE BOSS-AC2!!!That is true acousti sound!!!

Riiiggggghhhhtttt...

Surface-mount components and all.  Yeah, sure!  I can barely do a compressor...

Zero the hero

Somebody posted a layout for the AC-2. It was a link to a russian site.
Very difficult, altough: it uses a double side PCB...

Mark Hammer

Munky/Marcos has a Woody layout on his site.  I won't make claims to it *nailing* an acoustic sound but for minimal fuss and outlay I think it does a credible job in a group context.  In other words, if there are drums, keyboards, bass and vocals going on at the same time, it will sound "acoustic enough" if you're strumming chords.  On its own, or for discernible finger-picking, you probably want something a little more complex with attention to details, or a real acoustic.

The AC-2 does not NEED to be made with SMT parts, although if you tried to copy the unit on perfboard with DIPs it may have trouble fitting in a box the same size as the original.

David

Quote from: Mark HammerMunky/Marcos has a Woody layout on his site.  I won't make claims to it *nailing* an acoustic sound but for minimal fuss and outlay I think it does a credible job in a group context.  In other words, if there are drums, keyboards, bass and vocals going on at the same time, it will sound "acoustic enough" if you're strumming chords.  On its own, or for discernible finger-picking, you probably want something a little more complex with attention to details, or a real acoustic.

The AC-2 does not NEED to be made with SMT parts, although if you tried to copy the unit on perfboard with DIPs it may have trouble fitting in a box the same size as the original.

Okay, I stand corrected...   :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
I THOUGHT it would be surface-mount (seems like everything else is...)

Gringo

Hey Mark, i was looking for a datasheet/pinout dor the lm4136 used in the woody, but found nothing.

It doesn't have the same pinout than a standard quad op amp ic, does it?
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

Mark Hammer

No embarrassment required, brother David.  I've never looked inside an AC-2 and wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some use of smaller surface mount components.  Those components are all available, however, in DIP form for us mere mortals to work with.  Of course if it used some sort of LSI chip with no DIP equivalent, that would be another matter.  The current and classic AC-2, though, is a thoroughly analog unit, though, with no digital modelling.

Gringo,

The 4136 was handy, is known to be quiet, and was convenient.  As noted, it does not have the same pinout as a standard quad unit like the LM324, or TL074/084.  You are more than welcome to use any quad or dual chip you want.  I drew up what I did, but if you are attentive to inverting and non-inverting input pins, and power supply pins, you can feel free to use whatever you wish; singles, duals, quads included.  There IS a chip labelled the TL075 which is a BiFet chip with the same pinout as an LM4136/XR4136, but finding them is another matter.

Marcos - Munky

Gringo

Thanks Mark and Marcos!

I was going to draw another pcb layout for the woody, but i think it'll be better if i do so using a standard quad (i'm not a big "re-invent the wheel" fan).
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

studiostud

Quote from: smoguzbenjamin on August 09, 2004, 05:39:40 PM
I had the woody on my breadboard for a while when I just started out with pedalbuilding

I think every guy gets a woody for a while when they start out with pedalbuilding... :icon_lol:
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

Mark Hammer

And if it lasts more than 4 hours, call your doctor. :icon_wink:

Ben N

Quote from: vvvasss on September 28, 2004, 12:08:45 AM
MAKE BOSS-AC2!!!That is true acousti sound!!!
Ummm, no offense, but have you played an actual acoustic lately?
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

I think the goal of acoustic simulators is not somuch to make a solo electric guitar sound like a solo acoustic guitar.  That just seems unreasonable to me.  Rather, the goal is that an electric guitar can be coaxed into providing a sort of acoustic-ey texture in the background of an entire mix.  A little bit like the way all those fake plastic plants in a restaurant or hotel lobby can sort of look real-ish when in the midst of some actual plants....if you don't look too closely.

DougH

I've tried the AC-2's in the store and IMO they can do a decent job for strumming chords and so forth. Seems like a good tool for doing "acoustic" rhythm guitar in a band mix- or handy if you have to quickly switch to that sort of a sound from an electric sound. It's not something I would base my whole sound around if I had the acoustic slot in a gig or needed to fingerpick, play leads and etc. YMMV of course.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."