Does this circuit simulation graph make sense?

Started by cd, August 09, 2004, 08:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cd

See here:

It's an AC frequency simulation from Multisim.  I use a Frequency Generator to input a 55mV, 440Hz sine wave into the circuit, with an oscilloscope at the output.  What's the cause of that big stair step at around 3kHz, where the phase suddenly inverts from -180 to 180 degrees?  Does this mean that in effect, the lows are out of phase with the input and the highs in phase?

Jason Stout

0.0° is "in phase" if you post the circuit we might learn something! Is there feedback in the circuit? That may explain the phase flip at ~3kHz.
Jason Stout

Arno van der Heijden

That big stair step means that the phase passes -180 degrees (instability if feedback is applied!) at that point. You have to interpret the part at the right of the stair step as if it would start at -180 degrees.

toneman

• SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

cd

Circuit can be found here:

http://www1.korksoft.com/~schem/rumbleamps/jfet.pdf

Nothing special, just a vanilla JFET gain stage (similar to Orman MOSFET booster if you don't want to fire up Adobe Reader).

OK, so 0 degrees is in phase with the input, so -180 and 180 degrees is out of phase.  Alright, that makes sense to me.

toneman

Ahh, the circuit appears.....
from the frequency chart, the response is "flat".
looks like an allround/general purpose amp/buffer.
drawn funny IMO.
"phase changes" happen cause U got caps in there.
U don't hear them.
is the freq response graph with the "bode plotter"?
i have an old version of ElectronicWorkbench.
like the guy said, like the Orman Booster, but
the Booster is specifically 4 guitar, ? i think..?
afn
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I havn't used a simulator ever, but I think what happened here is that the phase at higher freq approaches -180 deg, and then just tips over to a bit more than -180, so the simulator output flips it over (note -180 deg and +180 deg are the same phase).
Eyeballing the circuit, ther cannot be a sharp phase discontinuity.

cd