altoids box distortion done....PICS!

Started by Hal, August 10, 2004, 01:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hal

so i solved my problem of needing something cheep and awesome to bring to camp with my practice amp - ALTOIDS BOX DISTORTION!!!

is a multiface circuit, with .047 stacked metal input cap, Q1 = 2n7000, Q2 = 2n5089, output cap = .1 uf greenie.

gain = max, volume fixed at level with 2 resistors.

edit: used HTML, fixed it. [/img]

petemoore

Kool!!! Truly Pocket Size!!!
 Multi Face should treat you to a nice variety of tones with the guitar volume!!!
 But where's Minnie Mouse gonna' stay now?
 and...what is: '.047 stacked metal input cap,'  [?] ..I understand the cap value, not the stacked metal part.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Hal

oops...stacked metal film.  Its those red ones you can only get at digikey, that the DS-1 mods call for.  it sounded good :-D I think its made by panasonic, if im not mistaken...

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Lonestarjohnny

Very Koooool Hal, Look's homemade as Hell, give's you much more pride in DIY'in yourself,
Johnny

gez

"Made in Great Britain"...only for export, never bloody heard of them! (altoids or the company who make them)

Sweet though! (pun intended)

8)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

remmelt

ha! great! that reminds me of mine!

i have a question regarding your jacks. i see you cut a piece out of the lid to provide space for the jacks. i didn't do that on mine, because i thought it would loosen the "grip" of the lid on the box. the little circle at the end of the lid.. how do i explain... it acts like a band around the box, sort of. the small bent lip. (explaining things really badly!)

my question: does your lid still fit tightly without the need for a rubber band or sticky tape? (see picture)

great looking box!

Torchy

Quote from: gez"Made in Great Britain"...only for export, never bloody heard of them! (altoids or the company who make them)

Sweet though! (pun intended)

8)

Erm, well ... my newsagent sells them but the box is silver with a hinged lid ... feel a multiface comin on here  :wink:

thomas2

great!! i like the idea of making them as small and cheap as possible.. in fact.. i finished a dirty boost unit yesterday. i used some plastic box which was used as a box for some medical instrument parts before..(altough i'd like to have those metal boxes) the size of my unit is 40mm x 75mm x 28mm.. i don't know where and how i could post a photo of it though..  :lol:
tee se itse tai kuole

remmelt

thomas2

hehee.. i just noticed that we don't have the digital camera anymore :D i'm pretty sure i'll find one somewhere
tee se itse tai kuole

Hal

Quote from: remmeltha! great! that reminds me of mine!

i have a question regarding your jacks. i see you cut a piece out of the lid to provide space for the jacks. i didn't do that on mine, because i thought it would loosen the "grip" of the lid on the box. the little circle at the end of the lid.. how do i explain... it acts like a band around the box, sort of. the small bent lip. (explaining things really badly!)

my question: does your lid still fit tightly without the need for a rubber band or sticky tape? (see picture)

great looking box!

actually, cutting the top did just the opposite.  At first, the box wouldn't close becuase teh lip knocked into the jacks, so i cut it so they wouldn't get in the way.  My only fear that the cut will spread, and tear into the thin tin.  Besides for that, it stayes closed well.  The only reason to open it is to change the battery, though, so i might try to squeeze the lip backwards it to make it very hard to open.  

its kinda hard to explain, but the altoids tin seems different than the one you were using. yours has the lip on the inside, while mine has the lip on the outside...

WOW you even got a pot in yours!?! intense.

btw, the whole build cost something like $5...$3  for jacks, $1 trimpot, $1 perfboard.

remmelt

Quote from: Halyours has the lip on the inside, while mine has the lip on the outside...
ah yes, i hadn't noticed that. i think i'm going to try cutting a semi circle out of the lid as well.
i have to unscrew the jacks a little when i open the lid. which is never.
otoh... maybe i'll keep it like this. make the tape a little smaller and on the side. that would be better.

QuoteWOW you even got a pot in yours!?! intense.
heh! yes, it barely fits, especially the cap sticking out from the pot... tite!

Quotebtw, the whole build cost something like $5...$3  for jacks, $1 trimpot, $1 perfboard.
and how much were the altoids? ;)

gez

Quote from: TorchyErm, well ... my newsagent sells them but the box is silver with a hinged lid ...

Ah, considering I don't eat sweets it's hardly surprising I've never seen them is it? :oops:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Torchy

... and which genius named them "Altoids", sounds too close to a painful bum condition to me ...

gez - I'll buy a box. You can have the sweets, I get the case  :lol:

gez

Torchy, should I eat them or insert them???  :P

Tim Escobedo

Depends which end you wish to make minty fresh.

gez

Half in, pull out, swallow...both ends done for the price of one.

Torchy

aaaagh gross .... mind you there's a lot you can do with Altoid tins (apparently)  :?

http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/alttins.html