Some pedals i've built (beginner)

Started by mat, August 10, 2004, 04:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat

Hi!

I started last june to build pedals and i'm hooked so badly  :D  , what a great hobby :!:

So here are my first pedals + strat that i have built. One photo shows my quality checker boss whose name is Hugo  8)

The seavibe (which is easyvibe (thanks again R.G, Hal and petemoore for helping me to complite this)) includes my daughters artwork with permanent marker - gotta get clear coat on top of that pedal.

The links for the pedals:

http://tinypic.com/1x150  mini booster

http://tinypic.com/1x11k  brown sound in a box

http://tinypic.com/1x10i  eighteen + eighteen

http://tinypic.com/1x11c  umble

http://tinypic.com/1x0zn  boss

http://tinypic.com/1x0n9  easyvibe

http://tinypic.com/1x15f  strat

Very big thanks to all who has been giving these great schematics (+ other helpfull stuff) to beginners like me  :D  :D

Next project.... Rebote 2 !

cheers,
mat

vseriesamps

Holy crud! Great looking work. I just started building stuff last month, this inspires me to take it to the next level - next three levels. Keep i t up!

Kyle
uh oh

thomas2

COOL!!! those things look cool man.. and your daughter is talented too!
very nice strat btw :) DIY instruments rock!
tee se itse tai kuole

cd

What did you use for the finishes?  They look great.

petemoore

That Booster Pedal with the heavy, even 'mottle' looks great, how'd you get it to break up like that?/
 Looks like your Boss is Cool!!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

donald stringer

Thats a nice white strat, what type of humbucker do you have in it. The pedals look real prof. to I dont see a lot of white strats [mine a nice creamy fire eng .red with emgs
troublerat

travissk

mat

Thank Yoy everyone for Your kind words  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :D

The finishes are mainly Hammerite 'hammer lacquer' (straight transcription from Finnish language) its gets very stern when it dries. I've seen it on several DIY pedals and i think it is a common product around the world.

Overdrive special has two coats of Hammerite Metal Paint. The second coat if not added by on hour will create beautiful ripple surface. After that the second layer can only be put after six weeks  :shock:  if you want a smooth box.

The SeaVibe's paint i just bought from a hobby store and i think it is some kind of enamel-paint.

All letters are paint-markers.

Thanks again,
mat (the pedal nut)

jimbob

Nice pedals! I started a year ago and have about 23 in labeled bags needing to be boxed whenever i get to it (and afford 20+ hammons or ect...enclosures..Im also waiting to ceate a labeling syst--still working on thT one.

Keep up the nice work!

BTW- it is a very addictive hobby. I still wonder if ill ever beable to stop. I tried--and came back.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

mat

Hi!

Its an old DiMarzio (non't remember the actual model). I've not spent so much to that guitar since i built it. The other i'm making is tele with quilted maple top+(with green to black sunburst)neck with swamp ash carved body. I saw Robben Ford holding a tele like that in an old Guitar Player Magazine and i went: i GOTTA have guitar like that  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Eh, this went kinda OT so i think thats it.

cheers,
mat

Quote from: donald stringerThats a nice white strat, what type of humbucker do you have in it. The pedals look real prof. to I dont see a lot of white strats [mine a nice creamy fire eng .red with emgs

mat

Hi jimbob  :)

Thank You for Your kind words !

Yes , it gets kind of expensive to box all pedals you make, i've just noticed that. I have 4 pedals that are not boxed yet. I was thinking of making one box (with a few pots on board) so that i could easily drop in different guts and take the pedal in to rehersals + for testing. Some kind of quick connectors inside the box for the jacks and pots + velcro (or hindge :shock: ) to shut the bottom piece. Any ideas anyone?

I did not understood what You ment by 'still working on thT one'.

Yes,it is a very addictive hobby. Those pedals keep breeding like rabbits  :oops: And my wife says why You have to have so many of those little boxes on the floor and every place  :o ....phew...women..

Thanks,
mat

Quote from: jimbobNice pedals! I started a year ago and have about 23 in labeled bags needing to be boxed whenever i get to it (and afford 20+ hammons or ect...enclosures..Im also waiting to ceate a labeling syst--still working on thT one.

Keep up the nice work!

BTW- it is a very addictive hobby. I still wonder if ill ever beable to stop. I tried--and came back.

aron

Everything looks GREAT!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing! 8)

Paul Marossy

Nice work for "a beginner".  :wink:
None of mine look that nice...

I just finished stompbox #35 last Saturday. I have built three tube amps now, too.

onboard

Most excellent. The only thing better than putting your own guitar together is running it through you own DIY pedals!
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

vdm

*clapping and applause*

great work you've got there mat! your daughter is very talented, and i wish my artwork was half as good.

i was wondering what you think of the umble... ive just started getting parts together for it, and was looking for an opinion of what it's like.

great finishes on all the pedals mate!

trent

Lonestarjohnny

U guy's with your Artie lookin pedal's make me feel  :cry: , :lol:
J/J, they look Fantastic, lookin at your's maybe will get me up off my lazy ass and motivate me to finish some of mine !  :D
Johnny

Marcos - Munky

mat

Hi!

I'm also very interested about to build a tube amp. I'm planning to buy a DIY kit for a a-class amp that has two power tubes + two master volumes so you can blend the two tubes sound. Thr price is very reasonable too.

So much to read about this subject in the net..

mat

Quote from: Paul MarossyNice work for "a beginner".  :wink:
None of mine look that nice...

I just finished stompbox #35 last Saturday. I have built three tube amps now, too.

mat

Thank You vdm !

The umble is great ! It is very sensitive when turning those treble, middle and bass knobs, they are very interactive. They are like drive pots also if that makes any sense. I ordered some number plates for the pots to write down exact values when i find a good sound.

I was wondering what would be the simplies way to make the effect two channel drive. I would only need the vol-channel pot to be at higher level and to engage it with another 2PDT. Maybe a double-pot for adjusting also the channel 2's volume? Gotta think about the wiring and then ask here if it would work..

cheers,
mat

Quote from: vdm*clapping and applause*

great work you've got there mat! your daughter is very talented, and i wish my artwork was half as good.

i was wondering what you think of the umble... ive just started getting parts together for it, and was looking for an opinion of what it's like.

great finishes on all the pedals mate!

trent