Programs for making layouts? Ways?

Started by jimbob, August 10, 2004, 06:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

Theres a lot of projects id like to do but ive never made a layout..The closest Ive come to doing this is making Joe Davissons Blackfire and vulcan--but there were no ic's to consider with really throw me off as there located in different parts of the schem. How does everyone else do this?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

gguru3

Never tried it myself, but I heard of a program called NeoTrace.

Google it and see what ya find  :wink:

Chico

I use Eagle.  It is free and is pretty cool, once you get the hang of it (which took me a while).  I think that the software provider is Cadsoft.  Just Google for it.  There are also some pretty good tutorials scattered about the net.

brett

The human brain is quite effective at this, up to a point.  One IC I can handle, two is a stretch, and three I need a GGG or Tonepad design.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

R.G.

There are no good programs to take a schematic and convert it to a layout. There are good graphics programs to help you do this manually - that is, you decide where which part goes and run the traces between them manually.

I wrote a book on how to do this, entitled "PCB Layout for Musical Effects" which explains in detail.

(Some good news for those of you who are book-seekers: thanks to a good tip, I've found a place that can print them for a reasonable price if I'll buy 100 at a time. So I'm working that deal now. )

In any case, there are some good graphics programs. I like Easytrax, which is free, but a PITA. There are others.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I recently cleaned up my kitchen/living room (AKA The Augean Stables) and, virtue was rewarded, because.. I found my long-lost copy of RG's layout book! (plus other valuable stuff). I hope it reprints, because it really is a good thing.
Personally, I'm not much chop at layout. But everyone is different, some ppl like MikeB actually ENJOY it :roll:

onboard

QuoteR.G. - There are no good programs to take a schematic and convert it to a layout.

Aint it the truth...

I've used ExpressPCB with good results for schematics, and they offer a layout app that you can link your schematic to. This is copied from their Help file -
---------------------------------------
Linking the Schematic and PCB

The process of wiring your components together with traces can be greatly simplified if you link the schematic and PCB files.  Embedded in ExpressSCH schematic files are wiring lists (called NetLists) that describe which pins should be connected together.  By loading this information, the ExpressPCB program can guide you when you place traces by showing you which pins need to be wired together. Before linking your schematic, you will want to check it for errors.  :roll:  Once linked, ExpressPCB can show you which pins should be connected together by highlighting them in blue.
----------------------------------------

Haven't done a layout with it yet, but the help sounds pretty straight up. Anyone have experience with these folks?
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

mikeb

It isn't the software that turns a schematic into a layout, it is your own brain; the software merely facilitates the process, so to a very, very large degree it doesn't matter what software you use. As regards complex circuits - with multiple opamps, grab the parts that are (on the schematic) close to the opamp, and place them close to the opamp on the layout. If there are parts that have more than one connection to the same opamp, make it a priority to put them as close to the opamp as possible. With parts that connect to each 'part' of a dual opamp, place them horizontally over the top or under the bottom of the package. Identify parts that 'bridge' different sections of the circuit and keep them out of the way; place them finally to 'connect' the 'postage' stamps you've created already. Work from input to output, left to right on the pcb layout (look at RG's work to see this in action); unless you have feedback between the end and the beginning of the circuit you'll never have any long traces (to be avoided in high-gain designs). Oh, and leave routing power and ground traces to last (my way of doing things - just leave space for the tracks when you are doing other stuff). Aligning opamp packages will make this easier. If it all looks too hard, ignore everything except for a handful of parts, place them, then move onto another handful. There is generally *always* 'rippping up' of tracks or moving of of part necessary even in simple designs once you get into it ... accept that sometimes it is a one-step forward, two-steps back process.

And, if all else fails, put it aside and look at it with a fresh mind the next day. My most complicated layouts are done over days, if not weeks.

Oh - and enjoy it too!  8)

Mike

jimbob

Ill give it a try-- I might actually have have to use my brain this time..Damn!!I thought by now thered be an easier way..Im so lazy.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Branimir

maybe a little ot...

i used to use a program called EASYPC... and it was dated 1989. i think... i used it as long as DOS was on my machine..

i never liked those routing programs..

this one was strictly pcb drawing..

and since then i haven't drew a single pcb layout on my pc... i did few of them by hand, since getting known with a every new program was new shareware and demo and similiar stuff anoyances...

easypc wasn't perfect, but it was good for what it was meant to be used...

altough it didn't have any export functions...

ah those days...
when i did son of screamer and fet muff with it... yep...
eh what the hell..

now i'm downloading pcb and not worrying about how to make them myself...

altough, i would like to find a decent program for pcb drawing...

cheers!
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

mikeb

Just a reminder .... I'd be pleased to do layouts for most things (if a layout isn't available already or if you want it laid out in a particular way) .... just pm or email me with the schematic or location of the schematic.

Mike