MXR Dist+ / DOD 250

Started by nils, August 30, 2003, 06:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nils

Hi!

As I've only got TS-like pedals I thought I could need some kind of dist on my pedalboard,and while going through my box of spare parts I found that I have the neccessary parts to make a nice saturday night build of the DOD 250 / Dist+. But before I start soldering I have some questions:

First of all: Can you name any signature sounds, artists, songs, recordings where the Dist+ is used?

MXR vs. DOD: How different do they really sound? I have HEARD the DOD sounds a bit smoother, is this true?

What influence do the two voltage divider resistors (20k on the DOD vs. 1M on the MXR) have on the sound (I have loads of 1M's, but no 20k)? And how important is the IC? Similar hype like in the TS series, or is it less important because it's not responsible for the clipping?

Regarding the diodes: The only diodes I found in my box are 1n4148, what kind of sound is to be expected with them, either with symmetrical or unsymmetrical clipping (I'm still undecided what to use, maybe I'll add a switch to short out the 3rd diode).

Thanks!
"If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT."
- Frank Zappa

donald stringer

You wrote:First of all: Can you name any signature sounds, artists, songs, recordings where the Dist+ is used?  Now I may be wrong but I think randy rhoads [ozzies former guitarist] I believe he used a slew of mxr pedals and that may have been one of them. But he also used marshals so I guess the dist+ shmoozed in with the  amp. dist. and didnt overpower it to much. Go to guitar geek and I am almost certain they have his and other rig setups you can cross ref.
troublerat

BillyJ

Randy used it for sure. Jerry Garcia used it way back when.
I have just built one and find the low ouput kinda a bummer.
I seem to have some trouble getting Si diodes to clip. At least I can't tell with the lousy amp I have here. The germanium 1N34 I have sound really nice just not loud enough.
I haven't tried the DOD but might have a look for ways to improve my Dist+.
I have read that the Dist+ has a flabby low end too but again I haven't tried it with a real amp.

petemoore59

There were some posts about increasing the output of the Dist+ bt changing the 10k volpot to a 50k or 100k

RetroTones

I closely compared my old original script MXR Distortion + with an old DOD Preamp 250 I'd purchased on eBay. They sounded very different. The 250 did not yield as much distortion and was more boxy sounding to me. The MXR was far superior in my opinion. I eventually sold the DOD for that reason. These were originals and NOT reproductions so any differences in repro components could be a big factor. My script Distortion + is a keeper.

Marcus Dahl

I've heard both the old MXR Dis+ and an old Grey DoD 250. THe differences I heard were rather large in my opinion. The Dis+ did have more gain, but also had a brighter tone and wasn't as smooth sounding as the grey 250.

The newer ones the yellow 250 gets really bright sounding and gritty. To me it doesn't sound good at all. The newer Dis+ sounds pretty good though. It sounds a lot like the old ones. If I was to have my choice, I'd go with the grey 250. I like the smooth tone that it has.
Marcus Dahl

EDS 1275

the mxr sounds awesome with 1n4148's!