MPSA18 transistor substitute for Tripple Fuzz?

Started by vseriesamps, August 11, 2004, 01:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vseriesamps

Hey all

I wanted to build the Tripple Fuzz after the recent post lauding it, but I don't have an MPSA18 transistor on hand. Could I sub either a 2N3904 or a MPS2222A in this effect? The specs aren't identical, but they're *pretty* close . . .

(and what's the thing to look out for when subbing transistors anyway?)

Thanks always to everybody for input. Killer forum.

K
uh oh

puretube

look for low noise, hi gain...
2N5088;
in Europe: BC550 C or B;

jimbob

WHat can i do about getting around the 1 m trim? I dont have one.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

puretube

Quote from: jimbobWHat can i do about getting around the 1 m trim? I dont have one.

re-read the relating thread, or buy one... :P

Tim Escobedo

The 2N3904 or a MPS2222A might not cut it. I think it sounded best with a high gain transistor. Worth a try, though.

Matching of the NPN/PNP pair didn't seem terribly critical. I found that a 2N5087/MPSA18 pair also sounded quite good.

Also, the 1M trimmer isn't needed. I replaced it with a 500k-1M resistor connecting collectors to bases of the NPN/PNP pair. In fact, it seems if the pair are high gain transistors, you may hardly need any resistor there.

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Ge_Whiz

Tim - seems that whenever you update your designs, people want to build the 'classic' version... :lol:

I used a generic transistor for Q1, gain of 700.

petemoore

You can make a darlington...see ROG Bazz Fuss...
 I don't really know but low noise-er's mgiht be preferable when doing so?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

b_rogers

i just found a few mpsa18 in a assorted pack of trannies at Radio Shack.

whenever i go in i shake them around and see whats in 'em.

so if you dont have any check at the shack in the NPN switching transistor assortment packs.

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/