Q Shielding Wires

Started by crawler486, August 11, 2004, 07:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crawler486

Will it help if I wrap the input and output wires of my high pedals
with aluminum tape?

petemoore

Well for the tape to be effective it would need to be grounded.
 I've never read about performance of Al tape as wire shielding.
 It all depends...on what it depends on...
 How long are the wires?,
  and are they floating or next to a ground plane like the box?
   I used to keep one side [in or ouput] of the boards wires quite short, and layout the box so the other side would need to be long and shield only that side. I did a whole lot of shielding for a while, but didn't notice any difference between the noise levels of the shielded builds and builds just with short runs and /or slightly longer runs being near a ground plane.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Alex C

I recently purchased some tubular copper braid from All Electronics.  $1 for 3 feet.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=GS-16&type=store

You can just slide this over your in/out wires and solder a ground wire directly to the shield.  I like to brush on a few coats of liquid electrical tape when I'm done, unless there's no danger of the exposed shield shorting to another part of the circuit.   Simple!  I do this because I've had trouble finding good quality shielded wire at a decent price.

Alex

petemoore

Great Source for shielding...the kind you can 'add' is computer monitor tube shielding braided tube.
 There's enough in one monitor to do many shieldings, looks good, I haven't tried it.
 I use the shielded wires in monitors, vcr's and old tape decks, one end is usually already prepared...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Lonestarjohnny

heatshrink tubing, best dollar ya ever spent for insulating wire's from shorting out.
Johnny