Quietest Transistor for boosters?

Started by Alpha579, August 12, 2004, 02:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpha579

Hi all,
i was just wondering, for simple booster applications, what is the transistor with the best noise characteristics? What is the quietist out of these:
2n2222
2n3904
2n5089
Pn100
BC548
BC549

???
Thanx for all info,
Alex
Alex Fiddes

Ge_Whiz

LinuxMan

...and if you're having troubles geting them PM me. I have hundreds of BC
550Cs. Always willing to do a trade.

Cheers
LM

RDV

Ben N

How 'bout MPSA18 ( I happen to have a bunch of them around)?
  • SUPPORTER

petemoore

From what I gather 5089's and MPSA18's are very close, both high gain/low noise, and interchangable.  For NPN Si's that is good.
 Then there are the Fet transistors. Jfets I recently read have 'better' characteristics in general than other types...can't believe everything you read, and the gain is generally less than x transistor, but I like them.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brett

Another way of looking at your list is to identify the 2N2222 as the one that is noisey.  All of the others are ok, and won't affect your sound.  The 2N5089 is very good.  FETs have good characteristics - more like valves than regular transistors - but they are relatively noisey.

But keep all of this in perspective - classic components, amps and circuits are often *very* noisey compared with modern ones.  So noise isn't the only factor to consider.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Ben N

Only slightly OT:  Anybody use a 2n3906 in a PNP booster (treble or flat)?
  • SUPPORTER

petemoore

3906 [pnp] is a good transistor, alot like the 3904 [npn].
 Wire the circuit for PNP, like Rangemaster or LPB and you should be good to go with maybe a bias tweek.
 I use them to test Rangemasters or debug, preferring not to subject the Ge's to any possible debugging tortures.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.