2N3094 as a relay driver? Better alternatives?

Started by Frost, August 12, 2004, 05:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frost

Hey there,

I'm using RG's 74C373 channel switching article as a basis for my amp's channel switching. I'm pretty sure I cannot drive the relay's directly from the 74C373. I noticed that he uses BS170 mosfets to drive relays. Problem is, I've got a lot of 2N3904s on hand but for BS170s, I would have to send an order to Mouser. Can I use a circuit which uses 2N3094s to drive my relays (Omron 12 Volt G5V-2-H1) like this one?

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/relay5.html

Would it be a more robust alternative to uses mosfets instead? I'm concerned with durability above all else. Thanks,

-Heiko

R.G.

Ohm's law to the rescue again!

By typing in "Omron relay" into Google then looking for signal relays, G5 series, I find that the Omron G5V-2 12V relay has a coil resistance of 288 ohms.

12V/288ohms - 47ma. (thank you, Georg)

So any driver needs to pull 47ma through the coil without dying.

I then typed "2N3904" into google and found the Fairchild 2N3904 datasheet at http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N3904.pdf

According to the datasheet, the 2N3904 in a TO-92 package can withstand up to 200ma of current - good! But can it do this without dying and how much base drive does it need?

Checking page 3 of the datasheet, I find that the typical pulsed current gain of the 2N3904 is over 100 at 40-50ma - also good, because this tells us that the base drive is less than 47ma/100 = 470uA. This is well within the capability of the CMOS 373.

So - will it overheat?

The data sheet doesn't help. It shows the collector-emitter saturation voltage as under 0.1V at 50ma of collector current at a beta of 10. That means that they expect to measure the 0.1V at 50ma if you force 1/10 of the collector current into the base. That's 4.7ma. There is no data on beta = 100.

We have to look further. The dissipation chart on page 4 shows power dissipation of 0.5W for the TO-92 in 50C ambient. So we take the current (47ma) and divide that into 0.5W, and get 10.6V across the device before it dissipates 1/2 W. We can easily get it down below 10.6V (!!!) so yes, it will be below 1/2W and will not burn up. Lots of room available.

Good news! It works fine! You will need to change the base resistor to provide at least half a milliamp of base current. Ohm's law can help you there, too.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

cd

If you want to be super safe, you can use two 2N3904s in a darlington configuration, right?

beans_amps

Not really,  If you use two 2N3904's as a darlington pair, you still have a 3904 used as the pass element.  The darlington pair just helps to improve the base drive of the second transistor and provides much higher gains for the pair than a single transisitor would have.

If necessary you could pair up a 3904 with a higher power transistor, but it will not be necessary in this case.

Sean Weatherford
Bean's Amp Repair
Central, SC
Don't Despair - Call Bean's Amp Repair

Frost

So RG,

for the base resistor value: 12 volts/0.0005 amps = 24K, would this be right? By the way, thanks not only for help on this forum, but your website has been an incredible resource as well.

-Heiko