One 9v wall-wart to power three pedals?

Started by Shawk, August 12, 2004, 05:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawk

I want to build a small box so I can plug my 9v power supply into and then go out three ways to power a wah, tuner and a flanger.

Do I simply wire the DC jacks in parallel?

No other parts needed?

If so, up to how many jacks can be used off of a single, 9v adapter?

Yuan Han

check this page out

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/SmWart/SmWart.htm

how many pedals you can power will depend on the current draw of each pedal, and the maximum power output from your wallwart

smoguzbenjamin

Shawk, you just wire 'em in parallel, just add up the power consumption of your pedals and then make sure that your PS can handle at least 25mA more, just to be safe.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

dolhop

travissk

If all your polarities match, you don't even need a box, just find a daisy chain adapter for a Godlyke Powerall, Visual Sound 1Spot, or Boss pedals. If your polarities don't match just flip one of the jacks.

If you're in the market for another adapter, The 1Spot is $25, comes with a daisy chain and is pretty quiet. I can't find the chain for this, but I thought it used to run $5.

The Godlyke chain is $7.50 or so
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/155052/

You can of course wire your own for less money, just put all the jacks in parallel, sort of like they show on the SmallWart site.

If you're near a music store and have some spare change though, these things are pretty cheap and IMO it's not worth ordering jacks, paying for shipping, messing with the wire, etc if you can find one for a few dollars locally. The smallwart is a good project, but the unique benefit is mainly the quality supply rather than the daisy chain.

smoguzbenjamin

Quote from: travisskIf your polarities don't match just flip one of the jacks.

NOOOOOO!!! If you do that you're effectively shorting +9v and 0v together!! That'll fry your fuse, if you don't have a fuse it'll fry your transformer! Use seperate PSUs for + and -9v!
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

dolhop

Good point.....I have a daisy chain for my screamer and wah.  The screamer uses the standard adapter jack, negative centre, but the wah uses the tip/sleeve type of jack.  SThere is a brief moment that the wah jack will touch the tip to the sleeve - not a problem if it's on it's own, but if the screamer is already plugged in it will flip enabled state.  It's only a momentary short, but annoying.

But in this case, opposite polarities WILL cause a short and a fried transformer.