Ibanez F27 Fuzz

Started by jmusser, August 12, 2004, 08:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this pedal to know if it was any good or not. I was reading that it had a "damage switch" for that "ratted out speaker" tone. What can I say, I'm just a fuzz whore. I love all that 60s and 70s psychedelic weirdness, especially if it has some Univibe swirl to it. I like the sound The Doors get on "Hello". I have no idea if that's guitar or organ that the fuzz is used on, but it's awesome (well, if you like fuzz). That is probably the nastiest fuzz tone I know of. Then on the other end of the spectrum, you have the Garnet Hertzog, which is so smooth and sustained it's sounds like a chello. Fuzz is one of those things like Paul Lynde's humor, that you either like or it grates on you.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

petemoore

Nope no experiences. But it is any good...got to be, it's an Ibanez...just depends on the application like anything else.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

David

Jeff:

I've wondered how Robby Krieger got that tone too.  He's distorting the s*&t out of something, that's for sure!  I wonder if it's as simple as pulling a page out of the Blackmore/Beatles book and overdriving the input of a tape recorder or mixer.  It's also possible (but is it likely?)  that it could have been done with a Fuzz Face.

Hey, Brian Wenz!  What do you know about Krieger's sound?

Marcos - Munky

I have one. It isn't F27, it's FZ-7. Have useful tones in the 0% position in the damage switch, and blow speaker sound in 100% of damage. It just have a problem, when you hit the strings, the tone is horrible, but it became good af he attack time.

jmusser

I'm sure if I read a few articles on a Krieger worship page somewhere, it'll tell all about it. I did read the other day about Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" fuzz. He said that the effect was built into his guitar, and he played with his fingers instead of a pick to get that particular sound. The "Incense and Peppermints" fuzz is also intense, and has a sort of raspy kazoo sound to it that I haven't heard anywhere else.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

axr

i had one, it has a modern fuzz sound (90s) the damage was cool, cleans well.

David

Quote from: jmusserI'm sure if I read a few articles on a Krieger worship page somewhere, it'll tell all about it. I did read the other day about Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" fuzz. He said that the effect was built into his guitar, and he played with his fingers instead of a pick to get that particular sound. The "Incense and Peppermints" fuzz is also intense, and has a sort of raspy kazoo sound to it that I haven't heard anywhere else.

Odd.  Wonder if Norm was using a Messenger axe a la Mark Farner?  I'd read someplace that the distortion came from a razored cone.  

I've wondered about "Incense and Peppermints" as well.  One of these days I'm going to start messing around with psychedelic-sounding distortion again.  Would the Orange Sunshine or one of the Tone Bender clones do that buzz?

jmusser

I found the site where I had read about the Spirit in the Sky fuzz tone. Check this out  http://www.thepsychedelicguitar.com/greenbaum.htm  It's not the information I wanted to read. I was hoping he would say I used the "Cone Slasher Fuzz' or something like that, but nooooo!

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    I'm pretty sure that the "Doors fuzz"  is the Maestro, but they also used Acoustic [solid state] amps that had built-in fuzz circuits so i couldn't be sure.   Now, if it was The Yardbirds........!
What year was "Incense & Peppermints" ??   I think it was around '65 or '66..........so maybe the Maestro again.   It doesn't sound like a Maestro to me, though.  Actually, it has kind of a Big Muff quality to it but the Big Muff hadn't been invented yet!
This needs more research!
Brian.

jmusser

Strawberry Alarm Clock (What a great psychedelic name) did that in 67. I was reading somewhere again where the Maestro that was used for "Satisfaction", wasn't the same as the garden variety Maestro off the shelf. If this fuzz could have been used in these different songs, then it looks like it will be a must for me to build. Is there a sound sample of this beast floating around somewhere?

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
     Yeah, I really like my Maestro clone...it can get some great overdrive-fuzz gain happening when playing through a slightly distorted amp.
Do a search for Gez' notes on biasing the circuit 'cuz it does make a difference in the sound.  [Build the FZ-1a....3 germanium trannys.]
Well, I dunno about the "Incense" fuzz.......wonder if anybody posted anything on the net about it.  I might have an old Guitar Player mag with them in it...I'll look around.  Hey, maybe it was a Univox Super Fuzz??  Pete Townshend was using one of those back then.
Brian.

tcobretti

I have this pedal, and it's basically two tube screamers back to back.  The damage switch seems to starve one of the trannies for voltage so it starts to get that freaky square distortion that under powered trannies get.

It's kind of a cool pedal, and seems ripe for mods because of the twin TS design.

Here's a link to my previous thread to it.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=23765

It's a little too smooth for my taste, I'd listen to it before I bought one.