Question about the methods of isolating jacks and switches.

Started by Shawk, August 12, 2004, 05:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawk

(I'm sure that there is already threads for this but it seems easier sometimes just to post a new one)

I need to isolate a latching circuit that is housed and shared in a true bypass box. (all grounds connected) I built this because I wanted everything to be in one enclosure.

Everything works fine except that when the cable in inserted into the latch jack, I get this loud terrible hum but it does switch the channels on my amp.

If I use the true bypass unit and my old channel switcher seperate, everything works fine. This tells me that the latching part of the unit needs to be isolated.

Which specific part(s) do I need to completely isolate the jack and the 3PDT switch?

Thanks guys

jplaudio

the switch connections are isolated from the chassis unless you have an internal connection to ground. Jacks can be isolated with bushings or you can use a plastic body jack (rean) like on Marshall amps

Torchy

If they are metal jacks, Steve at Small bear shows how to isolate the jacks by oversize drilling and filling with Bondo ...

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/SmWart/SmWart.htm

Shawk

Quotethe switch connections are isolated from the chassis unless you have an internal connection to ground. Jacks can be isolated with bushings or you can use a plastic body jack (rean) like on Marshall amps

This sounds like an easier way. Got a part number or a source where I can find these?

Thanks