http://www.indyguitarist.com/

Started by timrand, August 12, 2004, 11:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timrand

Has anybody bought this guys mods ?

theblackman

Quote from: timrandHas anybody bought this guys mods ?

Yup I've bought the DS-1 and Sd-1 mods,

As my first (and only so far)  project I did the DS-1 Evil mod.

It worked really well and I actually use this pedal now, before it sucked.

I'm gonna do the Fulltone Fulldrive mod to my SD-1 next.
Bought: zvex woolly mammoth, octane 3, moogerfooger ringmod, frostwave resonator, boss sd1, ds1, dd6
Built: big muff, green ringer, tremulus lune, the crank
Planned: harmonic percolator, pt80, shin ei.

cd

Do you know the guy, or are you just curious?  :?:

I've heard good things about his mods on other boards.  I don't know if it's in the spirit of *this* board though.

SnooP_Wiggles

I haven't noticed him around here. But he has a strong presense at the guitargeek forums (www.guitargeek.com)

timrand

Can you post the mods or email me especially the SD-1 Mods

Mate ???

jasonober

i bought the ds-1 mod and did a combination of the evil/tube emulator mods  basically i just played around with different values until i found what i liked.   basically he's just tweaking cap/resistor/diode values/types.  after getting the basic idea i don't think i'd buy another one of his mods but some might like that he does the leg work for you.

cd

Quote from: jasonoberi bought the ds-1 mod and did a combination of the evil/tube emulator mods  basically i just played around with different values until i found what i liked.   basically he's just tweaking cap/resistor/diode values/types.  after getting the basic idea i don't think i'd buy another one of his mods but some might like that he does the leg work for you.

That's why these DIY "mods" have such a limited, niche audience.  Unless you're a stone cold beginner, once you get a bit of knowledge + practice with a soldering iron, you're going to feel a lot better about working out your own RC combinations and buying parts from the same source (Mouser, Digikey, Small Bear) without the huge markup.

YouAre

yeah brian is a great guy, really reliable, but he's not gonna be doign mods for a while now. he sells the information for his mods in his "diy kits" i bought it and its what started me into modding then building

travissk

Quote from: timrandCan you post the mods or email me especially the SD-1 Mods

Mate ???

He sells the kits, so posting his product wouldn't be a good idea. Try those links that Torchy posted, odds are they're very similar. Actually, come to think of it, doesn't that site give you a couple free mod sheets (DS-1 might be one) if you subscribe to the newsletter? Try that for another option.

Odds are very few of us have purchased mod kits. As cd mentioned, it's not exactly rocket science and especially after tweaking custom builds you get a general feel of what to change to get a different sound. You also tend to get a surplus of parts, so it's easy to swap parts all over the place.

If a beginner is comfortable with a soldering iron or has a desire to do it himself, then a kit could be a good investment and might be something of a gateway into full-on effects building. You don't have to question what value to put where or think about the schematic; he's already done that for you. Saves some time, and if I had a pedal that I didn't like but couldn't resell, it's not too expensive to get the kit and do the mod in an hour or less.

But general information on modding stays the same - change caps to change tone (usually increase bass response), and often ceramic/tant caps get changed out for better caps (film for instance). You can then substitute opamps, transistors, and diodes to see how that affects the sound.

wampcat1

Quote from: SnooP_WigglesI haven't noticed him around here. But he has a strong presense at the guitargeek forums (www.guitargeek.com)

I don't post much on here, but of course I read and find out what everyone is looking for...most all of us modders/builders at least nose through many of the popular forums at least weekly.

wampcat1

Quote from: cd
Quote from: jasonoberi bought the ds-1 mod and did a combination of the evil/tube emulator mods  basically i just played around with different values until i found what i liked.   basically he's just tweaking cap/resistor/diode values/types.  after getting the basic idea i don't think i'd buy another one of his mods but some might like that he does the leg work for you.

That's why these DIY "mods" have such a limited, niche audience.  Unless you're a stone cold beginner, once you get a bit of knowledge + practice with a soldering iron, you're going to feel a lot better about working out your own RC combinations and buying parts from the same source (Mouser, Digikey, Small Bear) without the huge markup.

your 110% correct--it is a VERY small niche, but its a fun one! :)
I do realize, however, that I'm just a starting point for many...in fact, I regularly point customers to this forum for Q & A.

timrand

I have seen the mods over the weekend not much that jumps out of the ordinary. Same stuff diodes, Caps Resistors I was expecting trace cuts and wild stuff but there is nothing you couldnt learn in here.

wampcat1

Quote from: travissk
Quote from: timrandCan you post the mods or email me especially the SD-1 Mods

Mate ???

He sells the kits, so posting his product wouldn't be a good idea. Try those links that Torchy posted, odds are they're very similar. Actually, come to think of it, doesn't that site give you a couple free mod sheets (DS-1 might be one) if you subscribe to the newsletter? Try that for another option.

Odds are very few of us have purchased mod kits. As cd mentioned, it's not exactly rocket science and especially after tweaking custom builds you get a general feel of what to change to get a different sound. You also tend to get a surplus of parts, so it's easy to swap parts all over the place.

If a beginner is comfortable with a soldering iron or has a desire to do it himself, then a kit could be a good investment and might be something of a gateway into full-on effects building. You don't have to question what value to put where or think about the schematic; he's already done that for you. Saves some time, and if I had a pedal that I didn't like but couldn't resell, it's not too expensive to get the kit and do the mod in an hour or less.

But general information on modding stays the same - change caps to change tone (usually increase bass response), and often ceramic/tant caps get changed out for better caps (film for instance). You can then substitute opamps, transistors, and diodes to see how that affects the sound.

Excellent points! :)
my typical customer is someone who has though about trying to work on their own pedals, but just didn't know where to start. I like to think of my site ( www.guitartone.net ) as kind of the beginner level diy'er, and if they like it, they tend to move up and start figuring out the technical side of it. I was doing tons of mods through www.indyguitarist.com but once I did Brent Mason's pedals, I got really really flooded with pedals, and to be honest, it gets REALLY old sitting over a hot soldering iron for 14 hours a day! :D

Regardless, I'm glad you folks have enjoyed my mods. :)

Thanks,
Brian

wampcat1

Quote from: timrandI have seen the mods over the weekend not much that jumps out of the ordinary. Same stuff diodes, Caps Resistors I was expecting trace cuts and wild stuff but there is nothing you couldnt learn in here.

Nah, nothing like that--if I try to teach that sort of thing, it creates HUGE support issues--heck, its busy enough just trying to explain to folks that a LED will work in place of diode, and why! :D

Everybody has to start somewhere, so I figure, 'why not with me?' :)

Thanks,
Brian

Gilles C

I bought the mods a while ago.

I liked what I heard, and didn't have the time or the motivation to butch my Boss pedals trying to make them better.

Btw, did you see a lot of mods for the Boss CS-3?

I don't remember seeing any, except on Brian's site, and on another site that just suggest to change the kinds of caps, not the values.

And that's the first one I want to mod, as soon as I find the time...

I must admit that I always prefered to build than to mod circuits. So, that was perfect for me...

csj

I wouldn't consider $3-$15 a huge markup. Rather see someone spend it on that and learn even the most basic things than have it sent out for the same mods and a blue LED at roughly five times the price and still wonder what the heck goes on inside that little box. Seems like an honest way to help people learn and make a buck or two at the same time. Congratulations Brian and here's hoping for success to you.

wampcat1

Quote from: csjI wouldn't consider $3-$15 a huge markup. Rather see someone spend it on that and learn even the most basic things than have it sent out for the same mods and a blue LED at roughly five times the price and still wonder what the heck goes on inside that little box. Seems like an honest way to help people learn and make a buck or two at the same time. Congratulations Brian and here's hoping for success to you.

Thanks!

To tell you the truth, most people who modify pedals (for profit) do very similar things--Its the experienced diy'ers that REALLY know how to tweak a pedal 100 different ways! Mark Hammer, for example-that guy is incredibly intelligent about this stuff! He's not the only one of course, but he's the first that popped in my head. :D

Thanks,
Brian