Booster Q: LBP-1 or Rangemaster?

Started by brett, August 13, 2004, 12:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett

I'm finally going to build a booster, but can't decide between these.  Any suggestions?

I play a range of rock and blues.  Sex Pistols to BB King.  I can see the boost being mostly useful for blues solos.  How much treble boost does the Rangemaster give?

Thanks for any advice. :D
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

petemoore

Brian May Trebel Booster
 Something with Jfets [smoother?]
 Get the Germanium from Small Bear [or roll the dice]..
 Input cap value change changes frequency response
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brian wenz

Hello Brett--
   Try  a Range Pig!!   You can always increase the value of the input cap for a full-range boost.  [Also, maybe fool around with the gain of the circuit...]
  The thing about the LPB-1 or 2 is that it's such a simple build you can demo it with yer gear and go on to the next thing if you don't like it.  Maybe an NPN Boost??   Hey, what about the AMZ Mini-Booster??  They're great and quick to build, too.
One of my fave boosters is the Colorsound Overdrive.  It's got a great treble boost built in, too.
 Maybe you should build a stock germ. Rangemaster just to have it??  At the very least it'll give you something to compare all the others to.
The Brian May boost is a silicon, not a germ, but sounds pretty good.
I built a modded Vox Treble Booster that sounds great with humbuckers...... I had to raise the values of both base resistors and a couple of other things, too.....let me know if yer interested!
This was kind of what I was getting at over at the Concord thread......building a treble booster with more options for gain and "oomph".   Maybe something could be designed and tested here on the forum???   You up for it?????!
Brian.

brett

Hi Brian, Pete
The booster I'm looking for will be mild rather than wild.  My amp has this crazy diode (1N4148) clipping on the inputs, so if you feed it too much signal, it sounds awful.
Until now I have used a tubescreamer with the drive turned down and the volume turned up as a booster (with some distortion) .

thanks for the suggestions
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

bwanasonic

The Rangemaster is a bit fussy about things like buffered / non-TBP FX in your chain, and might not reveal it's particular charms with some amps. But with the right setup, it sounds fantastic! I think of it's tones more in the classic rock spectrum, but I'm sure some useful punk or blues tones could be had with it. Both the LBP1 and the RM are simple enough, so why not build both? And build a Fetzer while your at it!  :D  

Kerry M

P.S. The RM tends to prefer passive pickups and vintage-style tube amps.

Fret Wire

You didn't say whether you have a tube amp or not, but my vote would be for the Micro Amp. Doesn't color your tone , just adds a little sparkle or presence. And it can drive an amp to OD if you want. A very underated pedal, IMHO.

The Fetzer would be nice too.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Lonestarjohnny

Brett, when i first visited this site they were building a cleanboost on the Newbie's page so I built it, I've got over 45 build's that i've tested and tinkered with on perf board, out of all these build's I prize my Lil boost pedal more so than anything else i've built, it's a great addition to anyone's pedal board, if you want somethin that will bring the front end alive on your amp this would be it, I just got through showing a friend what it would do to his Blues Delux, He loved it, and I also made sure he did not pack it off, LOL !
Johnny

brett

Thanks Bwana.  "Classic rock" sounds good to me.
I WOULD build 3 or 4 and mess with them, but the boss has asked me to play in a work band in just a couple of weeks time.  As someone with only 2 or 3 public performances behind me and a couple of mental scars from playing in these "work musicians" situations, I thought I'd better get my gear in order. :shock:

Fortunately, as I get older and lose my sanity, I don't care so much how it turns out, so long as the crowd don't throw us off stage. :wink:
Brett Robinson