Wall wart bogging down

Started by Willthebold, August 13, 2004, 04:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willthebold

I posted a couple days ago about making a power adapter to run 4 or 5 pedals.  I bought a 9 volt, 1300 mA adapter at Radio Shack, added a filter and then spliced in 5- 9 volt clips to hook up to the clips on my effects, but when I run them all, they only get about 7.5 volts.  How can you run them off the same adapter without it getting bogged down?  Thanks for the help.

Will

mikeb

Is the adapter regulated or unregulated? Regulated mean it will deliver 9V up to it's rated current, whereas unregulated means it'll likely more than 9V at lower current loads and possibly much less than 9V at at higher current loads. You can check this by measuring the voltage from it with no load, i.e. no pedals attached.

Mike

Willthebold

I guess it's unregulated since with all the pedals detached it puts out 9 volts and then more like 7 to 7.5 when they're all powered.  Would it work if I took another adapter just like it and ran them together?

Will

niftydog

QuoteI guess it's unregulated since with all the pedals detached it puts out 9 volts

that sounds wrong. Unregulated supplys output a voltage much higher than they're specification when they are not loaded.

Several possibilties here;

You've got a dud/cheap/incorrectly-labeled power supply.

One or more of your pedals draw large currents.

Your addition of a filter is affecting the supply or you've done something funny with the battery clips. (what does your filter consist of?)

Do you know how to measure the current draw on each pedal? If so, check how much each individual pedal draws and make sure the total is less than what the power supply can provide.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Hal

from radio shack?  

Maybe you accidently bought a cell phone instead of a power supply...?

ok real question - did it work, ie, put out 9+volts before you hooked up the filter, et al?

Willthebold

The PS puts out more than 9 volts, and mainly it's my TS-808 that really seems to suck the current.  My filter is just a 1000uf cap to ground.  I'm thinking I might just buy a good regulated power supply instead of trying to rig up something.  Unless of coarse you guys can think of an easy alternative?......  thanks for the help guys.

Will

smoguzbenjamin

Check if that cap is OK. If it's leaky it might be dissipating energy that way.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Hal

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminCheck if that cap is OK. If it's leaky it might be dissipating energy that way.

exactly what I was getting at....remove the cap and see if it works then.

your ts-808 shouldn't need more than a few ma's of current...use your DMM to check that - something might be wrong there...