another easyvibe done...

Started by Branimir, August 13, 2004, 08:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Branimir

thanks r.g. for the layout!!!

i had problems with fitting the 470uF caps on board, since i had only big sized ones, but i managed it....

i had problems when first engaging it...
problems like - bad soldering and braked lead on pcb, but succesfully solved it in an half an hours and it works!!!

trully a great build...
i tweaked it with that 1k trim pot...

anyway i've been building effects a watching these forums and other sites too for 6 years now and i would like thank all the people posting around here, even though i was a lurker before as i am now, i learn something new each day! thanks!

now to the millenium bypass...
i have a blue led for an indicator...
if it's swaying... then why not sway it blue!!!

:D

ps: are there any mods that i know not of for the easyvibe? (i found one on  google, but i don't think i'm going to mod the lfo like that it's too late)
pps: pics on sunday i guess!!
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

Torchy

Some mods Ive seen on other threads/forums ...

"Change the 47k-100k negative feedback network in the first op-amp, that takes the signal from the input 0.001mF capacitor. Replace it with a 22mF/470ohm (to ground) combo and a 1kB potentiometer in the feedback loop. The fidelity of the signal improved dramatically and now the volume can be controlled with a knob. The tone is smoother and warmer.

The speed potentiometer was changer to LogA and is now wired backwards. Way better sensitivity.

The 1k trim pot wasnt enough for my circuit, it needed about 2k to get unity gain and good sweep, so i put in a 5k trim pot and dialed up till it wasnt clipping the sound.

I took the 1k pot out and replaced it with a 4k7 panel mounted pot for Drive adjustment.

Replace the two 10k mix resistors witha a 22kLin pot as a blend contrtol for wet/dry mix.

Replace the Cho/Vib switch with a 10k pot."

I've built a handful of these now, all worked first time  :lol:

BDuguay

Torchy

I'd like more detail on the mods you're reffering to. Specifically the volume mod. How does the pot, cap, and resistor go together and how does it connect to the circuit? Also, please explain where the mix resistors you reffered to are located on the board and how/why you chose a 10k pot instead of a switch for thevib/chorus. I have built a couple of easy vibes using the layout from GEOfex and would be interested in trying these mods.
Many thanks,
B.

Hal

as he said, these are all from old threads.  Use the search function to find them, the origional authors, and perhaps more info...

Branimir

thanks everyone!!

i searched the forums and found a few mods...
well.. actually i don't think i'm going to mod it anytime soon, i figuered it sounds just as good as i want it to..

i tried putting a ds2 infront with justa a little bit of distortion and it improved the sonic sound of the vibe greately...

unfortunatly the ds2 sounds crappy for this device and my hioctane isn't really a "clean machine" for that part bit i figuered i could use a fuzz with low drive settings before the vibe to drive it a bit on the jimi side...

i found one post regarding fuzzes infront easyvibe...

does anyone have any new inputs on this subject?

anyway, since i'm around here...
what are the "ratings" on fuzzes? i mean, is there any diy top 5 fuzzes or something, since i think hendrix used fuzz with driving the preamp into overdrive (probably the pow amp too..) - so the fuzz wasn't the only unit producing the distortion/overdrive...

i found some recordings of jimi on my hard drive... from a 2cd boxed set i had a long time ago (my friend has it at home), lots of live performances...

f.h.i.t.a. amongst others, and such...

there is a certain version of Hey Joe that starts with bunch of distortion (heh like nirvana playing hendrix lol) and microphonic feedback... can't find it on google right now.. (the gold collection 2 cds)

but what kind of fuzz was he using on that tracks... it's pretty wild!!! for 196x or 1970 !!!

anyway the bottom line..

i want to make a fuzz..
and put it in front of the vibe... i'm not in need for a gain monster, i'm going to drive it a bit only..

ideas?

cheers!
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

Torchy

Try a TrippleFuzz (Tim Escobedo) ... easy build and great sound  :)

Branimir

hm..
i had my eyes on that few days ago, even downloaded the sound sample...

well.. why not, it's an easy build, i'll do the pcb with the waterproof pencil in 20 mins...

cheers!

ps: MPSA18 - there is an 2N or BC eqiuvalent, but it can't remember! 2N5089, BC546B?
pps: is there a web site that has transistor comparison table, or equivalent table? my google skills proof to be lame in this kind of territory, hell i can find just as anything on the net, but this kinda things, i can't even spell right.. heh!
Umor

Torchy

http://www.dialelec.com/crossreference.html.

I think the MPSA18 is specced for low noise. I socketed mine and tried 2N5089, BC549C, BC109C, and some unmarked Motorolas with gains of 400 and over. They all worked to an extent but the sound changed (obviously) between trannys. I preferred the NOS BC109 actually.