OT: DIY Resistor touchpad

Started by John Egerton, August 13, 2004, 09:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Egerton

Hey guys..

It's late here and I can't sleep becuase this question is on my mind.

I've been reading up on the synthstick and how it is basically just a crude touch-based variable resistor.

I would like to implement the resistor aspect onto one of my guitars that has an in-built Zvex fuzz factory. I would like the resistor to control the stability pot on the pedal.

Only problem is, the stability pot is 5k and I would only like the strip to be around 15cm long.

Is there a circuit I can build to complement this, allowing my 15cm strip to cover the whole 5k spectrum?

Thanks guys...

John
Save a cow... Eat a Vegetarian.........

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

It is possible to make a pressure sensor, by having an area of conductive rubbersuspended a few millimeters above a metal plate, so that as you press down on the rubber, more and more is in contact with the plate.
You won't get down to zero ohms, but it might go close, if the rubber is thin enough.
You can get conductive rubber from those anti-static things you hang off car bumper bars.
I think there is a commercial version, consisting of a conductor covered in microscopic pyramids that embed into the second surface as you press. I don't know where that comes from, availability, or range.

John Egerton

It's a good idea, however I already have all the materials for the synthstick resistor...

I just want some sort of circuit that I can tweak woth a trimpot that will allow that strip to cover the whole 5k spectrum...

Any Ideas???

Thanks

John
Save a cow... Eat a Vegetarian.........