Ozzies. Beware this 3PDT seller ("wintersys")

Started by brett, August 14, 2004, 02:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett

I've had an obnoxious experience from this fellow;
Industrial Audio Systems <iasys@iinet.net.au>

He's selling blue 3PDTs for $9.95 on e-bay (username "wintersys") and claiming that they usually go for $18 to $30.  When I e-mailed him and said I thought those prices were a bit exaggerated, he got all shitty with me.

Honestly, Aron offers such a cheap and reliable service (and Altronics are supposed to be stocking these soon/now), so why would you bother with someone like this?
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Wintersys

Hi,

For those interested in the facts, the full transcript of the emails exchanged between Brett Robinson and myself can be viewed below - you can read them and make your own mind up.

I would like to note for the record that I do business with integrity and pride myself on my record of good customer relations - there is a very long list of people who will testify to that fact and my eBay feedback, though relatively short, is further testimony.  

I am selling my switches in Australia for $9.95 AUD ($7.14 USD).   After having studied the market in Australia (including altronics) I found no other 3PDT switch for less than $18.00 AUD while some (Carling) were as expensive as $30.00 AUD.

I don't know why this fellow has an axe to grind, and if I seem a little short it's probably because I have very little patience for this sort of time-wasting.  Having said that, I apologise if my having posted here seems to be wasting the time of the readers on this forum, but I feel the need to defend my good name.

Matt (Wintersys)

Brett Robinson to Wintersys 13th August 2004 2:10pm

Your add mentions "Typical price for switches like these is between $18 and $30 AUD." Odd, but most people in the DIY stompbox community buy them for about $10 including postage (e.g. US$6.25 + 0.90 postage from Aron at www.diystompboxes.com). Perhaps you have made an honest mistake. If not, it's very sleazy marketing. cheers

Wintersys to Brett Robinson 13th August 2004 3:35pm

There is no mistake.  No other retailer in Australia is offering 3PDT stomp switches for anything less than the prices I quoted.  If you want to take the chance that you won’t need warranty then doubtless there are people all over the world selling them at similar prices to the ones from the supplier you referred to (which is still more expensive than mine once you convert to AUD).  Perhaps you would be so kind as to pass this information on to all those “people in the DIY stomp box community” whose activities you imply to be so familiar with.  For the sake of being polite I won’t get into my opinion of your “sleazy marketing” comment.  Is there anything else I can help you with?

Brett Robinson to Wintersys 14th August 2004 4:26pm

Hi again
Re:No other retailer in Australia is offering 3PDT stomp switches for anything less than
the prices I quoted.

Actually, Altronics (for one) sell the blue 3PDTs for $9.95, which I would say is LOTS
less than the 18 to 30 dollars you quoted.

RE: Perhaps you would be so kind as to pass this information on to all those “people
in the DIY stomp box community” whose activities you imply to be so familiar with.

Given that my friends in the stompbox community are mostly located in the US, and
your price is no better than usual, it's hardly worthwhile.  As for my "implication" of
familiarity with the community - since its inception, I have made nearly 900 posts to
the diystompboxes forum, or approximately 0.6% of its content.  What are your
credentials?

But I tell you what - I *will* mention your name on the forum.

cheers
Brett

Wintersys to Brett Robinson 14th August 2004 6:22pm

I don't know what has inspired this ridiculous crusade you are on to prove me wrong, but if you feel some need to continue it you might want to get your facts straight.  Altronics no longer sell a 3PDT stomp switch. http://www.altronics.com.au/cat.asp?cat=1&grp=291&id=S1153

You may have time to waste with all this inane drivel, please don't waste any more of mine.

vdm

i really shouldnt get into an argument like this, but i think it is laughable to say that wintersys' $7.14USD switch is cheaper than aron's $7.15 switch with shipping :?

wintersys' price is pre-shipping which is $2AUD packaging + actual shipping costs... now tell me aron's aren't cheaper, not to mention the awesome response, reliability, and help we can get from him.

anyways, i think their is no need to continue this post other than to say a big thank you to brett and aron for all the help they've given me all the time i've been around here.

thanks
trent - fellow aussie SB builder

p.s. sorry i forgot to add that despite wintersys' not having a bad price - it is definately cheaper than others i've seen, i just think that some of his facts that he is trying to defend are incorrect.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The more people there are selling DIY parts the better, in Australia or elsewhere. And they can charge what they like, I guess us customers can look after ourselves. :D

mikeb

Hmmmm, gotta see what happened with that 3PDT switch, altronics *were* going to be introducing that.

Failing that Aron and Steve are my best bets! :)

Mike

zachary vex

the black 3pdt switch was a failed part manufactured for a short time by Alpha electronics.  they ran into some trouble and canceled the part.

bwanasonic

Quote from: brettI've had an obnoxious experience from this fellow;
Industrial Audio Systems <iasys@iinet.net.au>

Sorry Brett, but from my reading, you were the first one to be obnoxious by calling someone you don't know, in an unsolicited email, *sleazy*. If you don't like the guys prices, don't buy from him - it's that simple. Don't send emails calling him names, and then start a smear campaign!

Kerry M

gez

I don't know how things are in Oz, but in the UK any order from the States over a certain amount (£17.50? - been a while) and you start to pay whopping customs charges...not so cheap if you're ordering in bulk!

This, and the extra time it takes buying stuff from abroad, is why I prefer to source stuff in the UK, even if it is 'dearer'.

No disrespect to Aron or anyone else selling stuff, I'm sure his switches do work out cheaper if you're ordering one or two, but give the bloke a break - he's just selling bloody switches!

Brett, you bleedin' stirrer!!!  :D
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

jimbob

The poor bastard is just trying to make a buck is all...hahah  too funny..it reminds me of people complaining about cable network shows--if ya dont like'm dont watch..But either way, name calling is never appropriate though.I know for me service is better than pricing sometimes--Aron's service rocks! I get my stuff in like 2 days--and very reasonable shipping too..Mouser cant touch that!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

EdJ

Aron`s service is great.It takes 3 days from Honolulu to my door here in Fryslan.Sometimes it takes 2 weeks to get things from Amsterdam here.
Isn`t that absurt or what?
Ed

Hal

I dont think this thread is appropriate here...I understand where both of you are comming from, but, as what was said before, let people do whatever they want.  Brett, its not like he ripped you off.  I dont even think he's trying to rip anyone off...but if the kiddies but a switch or 2 from him before discovering a better source (aron) its not the end of the world...

mikeb

Quote from: zachary vexthe black 3pdt switch was a failed part manufactured for a short time by Alpha electronics.  they ran into some trouble and canceled the part.

Really? I'm guessing you mean 'manufacturing tolerances and quality' trouble (?!!?!)

:cry:

Maybe I can sell the one I have on ebay as a 'limited issue' then? :)

I don't think this thread is inappropriate, although might have better been titled related to Australia or whatever.

Mike