Anyone with an American Strat or Tele...

Started by phillip, August 14, 2004, 05:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip

On the American Series Fender Strats and Teles, are the saddle height adjustment screws the same length per individual saddle, with different length screws for different saddles, OR is there a short screw on one side and a long screw on the other side of each saddle?

I'm getting some American Series black height adjustment screws for my MIM Telecaster and I'm a but confused as to how the different length screws are installed in the saddles.

TIA!
Phillip

guitarhacknoise

hey phillip,
I think that the middle saddles ( d and g ) have the longer height allen screws to adjust the string height according to the arch of the fret board.
"It'll never work."

Mark F

I've got a 1970 American Strat (I think that's the only place they were made back then) with Pat. Pend. bridge saddles. I bought it used in 1971 and I don't think the guy I bought it from changed any parts so I think everything is original. The low & high E saddles have shorter screws and the A,D,G,and B are the same height. I just changed strings so I took a real close look for ya. Hope this helps. :)

phillip

Thanks guys.  I just ordered the height adjustment screws tonight along with some other parts, so I don't know how many short and how many long screws are in the pack.  I'll be sure and post my findings once I'm done with the installation for everyone's future reference ;)

I don't know why Fender just doesn't go ahead and put the same briges on the MIM and American guitars...it's not like that one style is more expensive than the other!  The differences that I've been able to find are: the finish on the saddles is different (brushed on the USA instead of bright chrome), the intonation screws are offset on the USA models (which also means that the intonation screw holes in the bridge plate aren't aligned the same as the MIM plate), and the screws and springs on the USA bridges are black instead of silver.  Not sure if the USA Tele bridge plate has the same 4 screw mounting holes or not.

Phillip