Humming from the power supply! How to avoid?

Started by JJRockford, August 15, 2004, 04:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJRockford

On one of my pedalboards, I have a Yamaha DG stomp. The power supply to causes a very loud humming when it's placed close to other pedals. Is it possible to build some kind of isolation box to put the power supply in, to eliminate the hum?
Please visit VII Gates official homepage at http://www.sevengates.se

R.G.

The best shielding for magnetic hum - which is what you describe - is distance. Radiated magnetic hum goes down by the square of the distance away, so even a little distance helps.

I'm not familiar with the YDG. Is the power supply built into the box? If it's not, move the power supply away and feed a longer cable. If it is, it might be possible to remove the power supply from the box and put it in a steel raco junction box, again several feet away.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R@bbiT

There are such things as hi-pass filters that u could use. But I think these are not the best things. You set the filter at about 60 Hz or something about that and it eats up everything below 60hz so your guitar  signal is going thru but humm "stays''. But rrally not the best way to fight the humm.