New chick on the block wants the news on boost pedals

Started by Melanie K, August 15, 2004, 08:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

Melanie:
Welcome.  You should consider location in your signal chain and how long the chain is when deciding which boost to build.  For example, the AMZ Mosfet boost offers among its many virtues very high input impedance--the benefit of which is somewhat lost after a bunch of other (non-true-bypass) pedals.  Likewise the Micro-amp.  Both of those will create an apparent boost of the high end if placed first in your chain because their high input impedance eliminates the effects of loading on the guitar.
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

Paul Marossy

Wouldn't that be a "guitar damsel in distress"?  :lol:
Oh, never mind...

Maybe one day my 3-year old little girl will want to build this stuff, too. She wants to see my circuits when I'm building them. It's cute.  :)

Stick around, you'll learn a lot here, Melanie.

aron

Welcome Melanie!

Keep at it, this hobby is fun.

My daughter built a distortion pedal for me on breadboard - one of Joe Davisson's pedals!

I love it.

Paul Marossy

Hal

yea....and is she seeing anyone?

jk :-D

but its one of those running jokes between me and my friend to hook up with a girl who's better at guitar than we are.  Good stuff.

brett

Quotebut its one of those running jokes between me and my friend to hook up with a girl who's better at guitar than we are.
I meet them all the time :oops: .  More practice, more practice...

Welcome, Melanie.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

David

A chick axeslinger that wants to BUILD?

Melanie, you must truly be a rare bird indeed!

Help us help you by telling us more about your axe and your amp.  Also, if your amp has multiple input channels, do you run your effects chain into the clean or dirty channel?  Is the amp tube or solid state?  Is your guitar a Strat-style with two or three single-coils or does it have humbuckers?  Does your guitar have an on-board preamp?  Is your Rat stock, or has it been modified?

As you get more into this, you'll understand why the answers to these questions can be important.

zener

Quote from: Halgirls on this message board get soo much attention  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
They are rare in a forum like ours. That's why all necks suddenly twisted to the left/right  :shock: upon seeing her (her post).

I would love to see her holding a power drill on top of a hammond box.

Edit:

Quote from: Torchymelanie...check you pm
Now that's fast for a first post  8)  8)
Oh yeah!

Hal

Quote from: zener

Quote from: TorchyCheck you pm
Now that's fast for a first post  8)  8)

HAHAHAHAHA that took me two reads to understand.  I feal like an idiot, but that was mad funny.

The Tone God

Please no one post "age/location ?" ;)

No offense guys but there are other women on this forum that you have either not noticed or don't know about. If I knew how much of a response women would get on this forum I would have posed as one.

QuoteMy daughter built a distortion pedal for me on breadboard - one of Joe Davisson's pedals!

Now that is just cool. :)

Andrea...um I mean Andrew

zener

Quote from: The Tone Godthere are other women on this forum that you have either not noticed or don't know about.
That might be possible but, did those women you know ever post and introduce themselves or they are just lurkers here?
Oh yeah!

The Tone God

QuoteThat might be possible but,

Yep it only might be possible that with a general world population that is roughly half female that some posters on this forum could be female but it only might be possible. ;)

Quotedid those women you know ever post and introduce themselves or they are just lurkers here?

Its not necessary for anyone to introduce themselves on this forum so I don't see the relivence. Some post and some lurk funny enough just like guys. Tone knows no gender !!!

Its still funny to watch. :)

Andrew

zener

Well, I'm under the thought that, for example, a lady is about to join in a forum that's dominated, if not totally by male, something like this forum. Since she knows that the forum, is a male dominated/entirely one, the lady will probably introduce herself as what she is, a lady, because she may want to be referred to, responded to and treated a bit different to the usual man-to-man interaction/discussion. Although there's a common ground which is effects, music etc., men are still not women and both have differences that may require different approaches from each other for interactions to go smooth and pleasing to each other.

Something like:
Girl: Guys, I'm a girl (therefore, I'm like this and this and not like this.... So, be nice and gentle to me)
We: Sure. Welcome. You know, yada yada yada

Admit this:
Girls love receiving attention and we are just so eager to give it to them.

We'll see if melanie would get a short "search the forum" reply for her future posts.
Oh yeah!

Hal

or maybe we scared her off by of shovanistic ways

and i cant spell.

The Tone God

Quote from: zenermen are still not women and both have differences that may require different approaches from each other for interactions to go smooth and pleasing to each other.

:::Cue Barry White music:::

I do understand what your saying. It happens in any typically male dominated techincal field. It doesn't matter to me. IMHO the difference between people in general behavour is greater then the difference between genders although I'm sure someone who is married will point out how wrong that probably is. ;)

I find it entertainning watching "geeks" behaving differently when they think they are communicating with a woman. "Eeek a GIRL! What should we do ? Straighten up our lead dressing ? Clean up our solder joints ? Check our voltage biases ?"

Andrew

Fret Wire

Quick!...Remove plastic frame glasses and pocket protector. :roll:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

JT

:idea: Time to re-join this board as a girl  :!:

zener

QuoteI find it entertainning watching "geeks" behaving differently when they think they are communicating with a woman.
More evidently in personal interactions or at least through a telephone conversation
Quote"Eeek a GIRL! What should we do ? Straighten up our lead dressing ? Clean up our solder joints ? Check our voltage biases ?"
:lol: like when we're kids and the girl next door is passing by :lol:  But now, girls often see me as another nerd-y techie guy who's often insensitive to whatever they think/feel  
Quote from: JTTime to re-join this board as a girl
"Another chick on the block who wants the news on gain, bias, clipping etc."  :?:  :?:  :?:
Oh yeah!

aron

Quote from: Paul MarossyThat's cool Aron. How old is she?

She is 10, but was 9 when she built it.

I use it on the gig - a modified Vulcan pedal. It's a little noisy, but so are kids  :wink:

JT

Quote"Another chick on the block who wants the news on gain, bias, clipping etc."  

Uh no........Just a sure fire way to get the attention of everybody to help with my questions and problems  :wink: