New chick on the block wants the news on boost pedals

Started by Melanie K, August 15, 2004, 08:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpha579

theres definetely some sexism going round here...i dont think anyone should be treated differently, but then again, every newcomer deserves a warm welcome, male or female...
Alex Fiddes

zachary vex

i have a female apprentice...  she plays guitar and has a pretty extensive pedal collection, and she's very rapidly learning electronics.  there are female pedal people out there.

Sic

wow, i made a post a couple days ago about someone's blatent sexism... and not much was said... cept me being treated like crap by some schmuck

its sad... i can't help but say im a little offended by the lack of interest in the previous situation, and now this is like a 3 page thread...

dubs

zachary vex

no, amada is my administrative assistant.  she handles sales, does all the paperwork, shipping, errands... my apprentice is working directly on the electronics about 50% of the time and the rest is knobbing, footing, testing, qc, and tracking repairs.

gez

Zachary, 'Knobbing' (though ususally spelt without the k) and 'footing' have slightly different meanings in the Uk  :shock:  :oops:  :wink:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Fret Wire

Quote from: Sicwow, i made a post a couple days ago about someone's blatent sexism... and not much was said... cept me being treated like crap by some schmuck

its sad... i can't help but say im a little offended by the lack of interest in the previous situation, and now this is like a 3 page thread...

I took a look at that thread, and you got on a soapbox over nothing. Just a simple statement that meant nothing more than a greeting to a mostly male forum. If you want to interpret that far into someone else's words, you'll probably always be alone in your interest and issue with it. Judging from his initial statement and your response, you'd been waiting to say that a long time, but it was the wrong moment, place, and time .

Before you derail this post, think about it. We're kidding each other a little, but this newbie who happens to be female is getting the same treatment as the any other newcomers. Look through some of the newbie posts of this past year and you'll see. Well thought, well meaning, and well informed advice, but coming from way too many directions! Then some technical advice that goes from beginner to advanced, and the usual links that keeps them busy reading for a week. And alot of them don't post again. Go over alot of the newbie links and you'll see what I mean. I don't mean this to put anyone down (I do it too), it's just what I've observed. I think it may be because of now that the forum has been around awhile, many of the students have become good teachers, and that's good. All the projects suggested are good, as is the advice. I just think we overwhelm some beginners with too many good, but conflicting choices.

Maybe Aron and Peter can pick sub-monitors from a rotating list of volunteers, so newbies get more focused direction when then come here.

So if you read through some of the threads I suggested, you'll see that this newcomer is getting the same as the others, just a little more humor. The only real difference may end up being you attempting to derail this with more misplaced soapboxing.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

zener

I've been away from this forum for more than a month and I feel  :(  that my first posts from hibernation, whether serious or just to go with the flow of humor, would contribute/be involved in a form of discriminatory remarks.

First, I agree that ALL should be treated equally. When I said "different approaches", what I actually trying to say is in the aspect of how a man typically interact with a woman and vice versa, not in the any other aspect that would imply superiority of one over the other.
QuoteI would love to see her holding a power drill on top of a hammond box
This remark could be perceived the other way around but I swear that what I mean is I would love to see her enjoy DIY. I should have been choosy with my words.

All of my succeeding posts could have meant or trigger anything to be discriminatory in one way or another. Shame on me. :oops:  :oops:  To be honest, I've known by my friends to be a sober, quiet guy who seldom start jokes. I really feel sad that I was involved in all of these.

My apology to everyone. :cry:     [/quote]
Oh yeah!

Sic

perhaps you were right saying this might be the wrong place, it saddens me to think your response is what was percieved from my message. I wasn't  "waiting" to say that for a while, that was my immediate heart-felt reaction.

I never meant to "derail" or anything like that. That soapbox statement hurts, but you are entitled to your opinion the same as i am. It doesn't matter, im not here to argue.

sorry for the bother, it hurts to see people's feelings toward you in a negative manner when you have respect for that person, but i guess that comes with the territory when you make a statement on a personal level.

Normally i try and keep my opinions to myself because i am very opinionated and have alot of emotion in the direction of my opinion, perhaps i should try harder.

sometimes i hate how impersonal the internet is, speaking someone face to face doesn't leave as much room for misinterpritation...

Fret Wire

Well, your response to his statement was quite large, so I assumed that. Sorry if I was wrong. If he had said ladies too, one of the guys probably thought he was insulting them. Some simple statements can never be right if someone is offended too easily or misinterprets what you say. Maybe counting to 10 before you reply would be the best course. I also hate the net, communication, wise. I'm a real straight-to-the-point type in person, so I have to stop before I type, so it comes out at a more diplomatic level. That should have read "opinion", not soapboxing. I wasn't trying to be negative, just objective.

It's a valid concern of yours, and would make an interesting thread on it's own. You could link to the threads you wanted to use as a point. I'm suprised you didn't do this on the TS clone thread.

Of course, while we were typing there was one comment that wasn't horrible, but could have been skipped. Sometimes a thread gets a little OT or off color, then straightens back out. Usually, when someone objects, gets offended, or misunderstood, the post usually slides downhill from there. I guess we both killed the forward momentum on this one.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

zachary vex

Quote from: gezZachary, 'Knobbing' (though ususally spelt without the k) and 'footing' have slightly different meanings in the Uk  :shock:  :oops:  :wink:

whatever they mean over there, in my lab they mean putting the knobs and feet on the effects.  8^)

Melanie K

Holy crap! SLOW DOWN!!!

I only get to log on to the net on a ultra slow 56k connection with a prehistoric computer once a day, If I'm lucky!

Looks like this thread has turned into quite a disscussion/debate.

Quotegirls on this message board get soo much attention

I agree, maybe I should have registered as Mike?

QuoteI find it entertainning watching "geeks" behaving differently when they think they are communicating with a woman. "Eeek a GIRL! What should we do ? Straighten up our lead dressing ? Clean up our solder joints ? Check our voltage biases ?"

Andrew

Ha! This is geek humour yes??

Well I have much to research as I get a grip on all these new terms.
Most info  I've found is available to those who search so I will try not to post unless I get horribly confused.

Thanks Everyone

Hopefully In a week I will be stomping on my first project.
(weather it works or not!)

See ya's

RDV

Welcome Melanie:

Don't worry, they'll calm down eventually.

I've always wondered why more people of the female gender aren't interested in guitar. I think it goes back to parents pushing piano lessons on girls, but sort of looking down on guitar as some sort of traditionally male instrument, which is just plain silly. My 9 year old daughter is taking piano, but she wanted too, and has no interest in guitar whatsoever,....sigh. My son plays guitar, and has since he was 7 or so. He's now 13 & pretty darn good. I haven't pushed either instrument on either kid, cause that would take the fun out of it IMO.

Good luck, and above all, have fun.

Ricky Don Vance

Hal

oh mannn I expected to laugh when i read the new posts here, but this thread got semi-serious.  Party poopers :-D

Fret Wire

Relax Hal, the thread survived just fine. Could have been worse. Mike Fuller could have posted one of his famous pedal comments. :shock:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Hal

or someone coulda asked for a ZVex schematic, and we could have gotten into another ethics discussion...

I guess you're right.

jimbob

Melanie:  Welcome. This forum  can be as intertaining as a soap opera and informative as the discovery channel. Take and give what ya can and enjoy. :P
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Marcus Dahl

WoW! I don't seem to remember men scattering like %^&* roaches when the light is turned on just because there is a woman in the house.  :lol: This is laughable.

My wife got me started building pedals. She was building them and electronic stuff before me in 1994-1995. Graduated as a EE and has always been an excellent drummer. I taught her to play guitar, and now she knows more chords than I do.  :cry: THat and she is a better shot than I am with hand guns

Anyway Melanie K even though you have some experience building circuits, I would go for the easy build first. It's a good way to build your confidence and learn at the same time. Plus, if you run into a snag, it will be a little easier for you to diagnose. An NPN boost (which is documented extensively here) is the most realistic to go with. Other than that one I would say an LPB1. Either one will have plenty of boost and by changing the input and output caps you can change the tone easily.
Marcus Dahl

aron

Melanie,

Don't worry about this - hey guys, cool it!  :D

You will be treated like everyone else here.

-------------  PLEASE READ THE FAQ ------------------  :lol:

Seriously, check out the FAQ links above and the FAQ forum.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks!

Aron