SOT: pickup wiring

Started by talking_goat, August 15, 2004, 10:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talking_goat

How would you wire up a seymourduncan 59 with a JB to a single volume control and single tone control? I've looked at the Seymour Duncan website but can't find the right schematic. The JB is a four conductor pickup which is different to the 59. It has 4 wires coming out of it where the 59 just has the one. The JB is working fine, but I'm not sure how to hook up the 59.

black mariah

Unless you have a switch, you can't hook them both up without having them both on all the time. Your post sounds like you don't have a switch... is that the case? :shock:

If I'm reading wrong and you have a switch, it's fairly easy. The leads from each pickup go to opposite sides of the switch, the output of the switch goes to the input of the volume pot. The amount of conductors doesn't matter. On a Duncan, the black is the lead and the green goes to ground. Red and white are taped together.

talking_goat

Sorry, I forgot to say I have a three way selector switch. The JB is hooked up fine as I copied the wiring layout from seymour duncan. The 59 is the problem as it only has one wire which is confusing me. Where should I hook this wire up to??

talking_goat

Quote from: black mariahUnless you have a switch, you can't hook them both up without having them both on all the time. Your post sounds like you don't have a switch... is that the case? :shock:

If I'm reading wrong and you have a switch, it's fairly easy. The leads from each pickup go to opposite sides of the switch, the output of the switch goes to the input of the volume pot. The amount of conductors doesn't matter. On a Duncan, the black is the lead and the green goes to ground. Red and white are taped together.

Sorry, I'm slooooowwww! I just figured out what you meant.  :oops:  [i think]. So the wire from the 59 should go to the opposite side of the switch to the black wire from the JB? Does this still ground the 59?

black mariah

Yes, the lead wire on the 59 goes to the other side of the switch. This does not ground it. You do that by connecting the braided shielding cable to ground. The proper way to do this is by holding it against the back of a pot and globbing a metric shitload of solder onto it. I'm lazy, so I just soldered a wire to the shielding cable, then soldered it to a pot. :lol: This worked quite well for me.

talking_goat

Quote from: black mariahYes, the lead wire on the 59 goes to the other side of the switch. This does not ground it. You do that by connecting the braided shielding cable to ground. The proper way to do this is by holding it against the back of a pot and globbing a metric shitload of solder onto it. I'm lazy, so I just soldered a wire to the shielding cable, then soldered it to a pot. :lol: This worked quite well for me.

You wouldn't have a pic you'd  be able to send me would you? I have the lead wire which I had to strip back (originally covered in white, then black material and steel wool type stuff on the outside) but I still only have one wire? Im really struggling! I thought the 59 would be easy compared to the JB?

talking_goat

Unfortunately dumbass me is still struggling with this one. If anyone has any pics etc that would shed light on it I'd appreciate it.
Cheers.

BD13UK

I think the Steel Wool that your refering to is indeed the earth braid that should go on the back of the pot with the centre live going to the switch
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/skgs/sk/wiring.htm Have a look at this site.
Brian

talking_goat

Quote from: BD13UKI think the Steel Wool that your refering to is indeed the earth braid that should go on the back of the pot with the centre live going to the switch
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/skgs/sk/wiring.htm Have a look at this site.

I figure it has to be, but its been bugging me. It must mean I've screwed something else up.

BD13UK

Most humbucker pickups these days come with 4 conductor wiring but I believe that the Duncan model you have is also available with live and earth only so in that case it's basically the same as an original Gibson H/Bucker with live and earth so it's live to switch and braid to earth, shouldn't present any problem.
Brian

talking_goat

Quote from: BD13UKMost humbucker pickups these days come with 4 conductor wiring but I believe that the Duncan model you have is also available with live and earth only so in that case it's basically the same as an original Gibson H/Bucker with live and earth so it's live to switch and braid to earth, shouldn't present any problem.

Cool, I'm going to have another go starting from scratch.