Latest build (Green Ringer) with pics.

Started by Jim Jones, August 16, 2004, 09:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jones

Hey guys,

Thought I'd post a couple pics of my latest project.  It sounds really cool - I already sold it actually so I'll have to build another.  :)  I didn't have a lot of the necessary parts so there's series-ed resistors and the like.  

I recently bought a small metal brake and I make the box as well - it's cool to be able to make whatever size box you want!

Jim

Torchy

Very tidy build - like it lots  :wink:
Is that silicone on the stomper terminals ?

Hal

metal brake  :lol:  :?  :lol:

what do you mean?

i wanna start making boxes...becuase im really cheep :-D

casey

nice build man....

he's talking about a machine that will bend and "break" metal to make
boxes...
Casey Campbell

petemoore

SUPER!!
 THe Board looks like the switch 'melted' in it...interesting///that part of the mounting system, yes a metal brake would be a nice thing to have around.!!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

thumposaurus

Quote from: TorchyVery tidy build - like it lots  :wink:
Is that silicone on the stomper terminals ?
I think it's one of those Alpha DPDT switches, I got a few with my last order from Mouser and that's what they look like on the bottom.
Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Paul Marossy

Marcos - Munky

Jim Jones

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words!  I've got a ways to go before I'm 100% happy with the boxes but they're definitely "prototype" worthy at least.  :)

Hal I bought a simple sheet metal brake that looks like this, in fact I think this is identical (although I bought mine here in Canada at a store called Princess Auto): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2486776645&category=63700

You're basically just sandwiching your work piece between a moveable top bar and the base of the brake and ataching it there with "C" clamps and making your bends.  Of course I want a shear already!  :)  I'm getting better with the hacksaw but a shear would be way nicer.

I did use the teeny Alpha DPDT and it does look like gobs of silicone around the pins.  I haven't had any problems with the Alpha's so far and I LOVE the small footprint - very convenient for 1590B builds!

Jim

Hal

ooh thats cheep...pays for itself after...4 boxes....hmmmmm

freebird1127

Princess Auto sells these??  Jim, how much did you pay for it, and what are it's limitations??  Any noticable drawbacks??  Does it have those little feet for bending small areas at defined angles (135, 90, etc...)????

Thanks!

Beatiful build BTW!!!
Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!

Jim Jones

Hey Evan,

Yeah Princess Auto carries them but they sell them for a helluva lot more than that Ebay auction!  The 30" one is regularly over $100 but I got mine on sale for $49.  I think it's worth it for $50 but not $100+.

You can only bend up to 90 degrees, nothing beyond.  My beef with it at the moment is that I'm unable to make the bends as sharp as I'd like.  There's still too much "arc" so I'm not able to get the top and bottom part of the box to meet as tightly as the old EH enclosures for example.

Maybe it's a technique thing, I dunno.  Puretube or anyone else with experience with sheet metal-bending please chime in!

Jim