Two Questions About Canada

Started by Joe Hart, August 16, 2004, 10:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hart

My wife and I are driving from Boston, MA, on up to Toronto for the Rush show (last show on the tour, home town, and I'm a big fan...). I know that Mr. Hammer has mentioned Supremetronic in Toronto. Does anyone know how they compare in prices to Mouser? I mean, should I line up an order and buy while I'm up there or is the price difference marginal? Even with the exchange rate.

Also, does anyone know of a good store to get a pair of winter boots for my wife? We figure Canada would be a good place for cold weather stuff and with the exchange rate it may be a good buy. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
-Joe Hart

cd

They don't have everything Mouser has, but they're dirt cheap.  If you want to stock up, it's a good place to do it.  Don't forget you'll have to pay 15% tax though.  

Winter boots: depends what style you're looking for.  Now is a really bad time to buy since fall is coming up, and the new styles are out which are not discounted.  If you're on Queen West for Supremetronic anyway, go further west (in the 800s) to Australian Boot Company - besides Blundstones and RM Williams, I think they sell UGG boots as well.  Now that the $CDN has gone up lately, their deals are not as good as before but still not too bad.

If you're after deals though, I'd hit one of the US outlet malls on your way up.  There are none of those huge outlets up here, and the ones that are here aren't as good as the ones in the US.

BDuguay

Joe.
If you're going to Supremetronics, don't forget to grab a bunch of their DPDT switches. At $3.85 cdn. each, I'm sure that's a good deal.
B.

dolhop

Toronto isn't that much colder than Boston!  But, as was previously posted, if you're going through the Buffalo, NY area there are a few outlet malls at which you will find good deals.

Supremetronics is much cheaper than any other place I've been to and definitely worth the trip if you're in town.  The DPDT stomp switches (X-wing) are lower quality compared to Carlings, but the price cannot be beat!  This place is great for the electronic hobbyist.

Unfortunately, since I'm in Markham (north east of Toronto) I rarely get down there - and end up going to the assholes at Daiwa Semitron on Victoria Park.

jrc4558

Hey, Joe!

If you want, I can show you where it is and also show you the famous Active Surplus. Anyway, shall you need any help finding it - 416 854 9742.
Just mention that you're from the forum. I may forget, you know...

Cheers. Enjoy your Rush!

cd

Active Surplus is a shell of its former self - they tore down the old building, now they're a door west in the old Replay store, above a health food store :(  They have tools, speakers, power adapters, batteries, etc. but all the good "pile of crap" stuff is gone.  Everything is slightly more organized and well-lit but the selection is much worse.

Hal

two more questions about canada:

how can you take a financial crisis seriously? "the loony is down..."

whats with canadian beer.  I mean, I dont drink so i probably wont understand this either way, but from what i hear, its really cheep and watered down or something, but everyone loves it...

The Tone God

Quote from: Haltwo more questions about canada:

How can you take your "leader" seriously ? :lol:

Quotewhats with canadian beer.  I mean, I dont drink so i probably wont understand this either way, but from what i hear, its really cheep and watered down or something, but everyone loves it...

Are you looking to get your ass kicked in Canada ? :twisted:

Andrew

Hal

Quote from: The Tone God
Quote from: Haltwo more questions about canada:

How can you take your "leader" seriously ? :lol:

I can't! :-D  And I cant even take credit for that canadian one, its from a Robin Williams standup.  
Quote from: The Tone God
Quotewhats with canadian beer.  I mean, I dont drink so i probably wont understand this either way, but from what i hear, its really cheep and watered down or something, but everyone loves it...

Are you looking to get your ass kicked in Canada ? :twisted:

Andrew

that didn't answer the question.  Me and some friends once found canadian beer on the side of the road.  At a riot.  And they all seemed to enjoy it.

Gilles C

In the old days, it was easy to say why...

American beer = 4% alcohol
Canadian beer = 5% alcohol...

But it's changing I think. We both can buy beer having over 10% now, if I make no mistake   :roll:  :?  :shock:

The Tone God

Quote from: Halcan't! :-D  And I cant even take credit for that canadian one, its from a Robin Williams standup.

Actually I did see that Robin Williams routine on T.V. so I did get the reference. Thats why I had to laugh. I also couldn't resist a shot at our beloved and below neighbours.

Quote from: Halthat didn't answer the question.  Me and some friends once found canadian beer on the side of the road.  At a riot.  And they all seemed to enjoy it.

Ok to answer the original question Canadian beer is almost always stronger then U.S. beer. We make fun of U.S. beer because of this. Its one of our inside jokes. U.S. beer is consider the equivilant to Canadian light beer.

I was kidding but also alittle but serious about that ass kicking thing. Some Canadians take our beer serious and would be willing to defend it's honour if insulted in public.

Andrew

Hal

now _that_ i understand!

Thanks!!!  I just thought it was that it was cheep...

Alex C

Andrew, sorry to be picky, but you misspelled "honor."   :)

Alex

Hal

thats the british way...

like flavour, labour, and colour.

saros141

I tend bar here in Toronto, the alcohol content thing is a bit of a misnomer, in Canada alcohol content is measured by volume, and in the USA it's measured by weight.  Actually, 5% by weight contains more alcohol than 5% by volume.  So the exact same strength beer, which might be labeled 4% in the USA, would get labeled 5% in Canada, roughly speaking.  Hence the impression it's stronger up here, the number is higher.

Add to this various state laws regarding maximum alcohol content for sale in grocery stores, and maximum alcohol content to be legally classified as "beer", and it gets even more confusing.  

Beer is beer.  Beer is good.  I like beer from everywhere.  Just had a Tuborg, actually (Denmark).

Definitely hit Supremetronics, and Active is so close by it's worth it to poke your head in and wander around some.  Some oddball hardware (screws, etc.) at $2.50 a pound.  And if you're out at the Aussie Boot Co., you might as well see Songbird Music and Capsule Music.  Queen West is a great stroll on a nice sunny day, usually plenty of cute girls to look at.  :wink:

Have a great time in T.O. !!

The Tone God

Quote from: Alex CAndrew, sorry to be picky, but you misspelled "honor."   :)

Sorry I don't speak "american", I speak english. ;)

I forgot to mention to check out Songbird. They have Zvex stuff as well as other cool gear. :) Also Steve's music which is just furthur up from Supermetronics and Active and if your running around T.O. Long & MaQuade is another good stop.

Andrew

cd

I was going to mention Songbird (and other used music stores in the area) but if you're coming up from the US, seriously, don't bother.  Their prices are fair in the Toronto used market but they're RIDICULOUSLY high compared to the deals you can get any time of the day in the US.  Even with the exchange rate you're paying way more once you figure in tax (and even WITH the visitor tax rebate).

dolhop

Quote from: saros141Beer is beer.  Beer is good.  I like beer from everywhere.  Just had a Tuborg, actually (Denmark).

Tuborg, now there's a good beer!  Canadian beer seems to have more flavour as far as I can tell.  Never put thought into the weight/volume concept, but it makes perfect sense.  I just had some Canadian beer that I bought on my way back from the USA (where beer IS much less expensive) and it was definitely different than what we buy here - it did taste somewhat watered down.

Active is worth popping into, but as someone said, it is just a shell of what it used to be and more expensive than Supremetronics, and the service is much worse too.

marc

just wanted to pipe in on the beer issue (good for refreshment while waiting for your pcb's to etch).

in montreal, the majority of bars downtown have micro-brewery beer on tap. as well, it's available in most convenience stores at lower cost than the large "corporate" brewed stuff (molson's, now owned by coors, and labatt's). there is no comparing microbrew with the commercial brands- so don't judge canadian beer by the large brand stuff- its (labbatt's, molson's) taste is thrown by preservatives and lord knows what. here in quebec, alcohol is sacred. i wouldn't recomend suggesting that canadian beer tastes watered down compared to american beer in these parts.

i remember when i was on tour in the states, we would go through six packs like there was no tomorow (couldn't get drunk off the stuff), it was cheaper than bottled water in some parts. the irony was that you had to be 21 to buy it (we'd always get asked for id due to our not very conventional mode of atire)! oh, if in montreal, don't forget to visit addison electronique.

dolhop

I was in Montreal a few weeks ago - at Wanda's for a stag party - the bottled water was more expensive than the bottled beer!

Most towns have microbreweries, but it's rare to see it in stores....I'd like to see more of that - the high content of preservatives definitely changes the taste for the worse,