E-Bay TS808 Clone ...

Started by Torchy, August 16, 2004, 11:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torchy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22669&item=3742079872&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

This looks just like one that caused a few problems before (IIRC he used the GGG or Tonepad pcb ?, and his last ones had a toggle switch instead of a stomp switch) ... either way its a bit expensive.

Fret Wire

He's not posting any pcb pics this time.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Hal

over 60 hours put into each one?
$80 - $40 (?) parts, unless he uses crappy materials.  
That makes his time worth....something like .50 cents an hour.

He should work at McDonald's.

Paul Marossy

Boy, if that's not using "sex to sell", I don't what is...  :wink:

RDV

Gotta love that picture though.....uh.....sorry Melanie.

RDV

LinuxMan

Erm,

Is it just me or that box is plain old ugly (I mean the t-shirt only on top
thingie plus the choice of graphics...)? I've seen much better ones posted
around here... And who would want to stomp on a semi-nude chick? ...erm on
second thought thought... ;)

Just my 2c.

Cheers
LM

phillip

$40 - $80 in parts is a good estimation for a TS clone.  I put together the Axis Face Rev. 3 for about $28, and I used the best parts that I could get my hands on...a Hammond 1590B, 3PDT switch, Alpha pots, Xicon 1% metal film resistors, Panasonic V-series metal film capacitors, Switchcraft jacks, Davies knobs, etc, etc.  

Of course that price for all the parts and pieces doesn't include the time that I spent drilling, sanding, painting, putting on decals, clear coating, wiring the circuit into the board...that's the time consuming part.

The 60 hour assembly time is way exaggerated though, but heck, if he finds a customer base for his pedals, then more power to him ;)  Just as long as he doesn't rip off someone else's "not for profit" circuit board designs.

Phillip

travissk

I'll bet it did take 60 hours or more... if you count the work of the designers, hobbyists who found which parts sound best, the people at Mouser who assembled the order, and perhaps the people at Tonepad that created the PCB Layout.

dubs

I think FP would be alot richer if people paid him the license fees he deserves for using his tonepad pcb layouts.

Fret Wire

I'm gonna sell one of my Ge Fuzz Faces on Ebay next week. And I'm not bashful about showing my pcb layout. :P

What do you think I should ask for it? I do have 60 man hours biasing the tranny trimpots. Just so the Dallas Arbiter purists don't get upset, the bottom eight trimpots are for biasing the LED brightness. As you can see, I didn't stray too far from the Dallas ckt. I can't show the top graphics without a signed waiver, it's Rosanne Barr in a thong :shock:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

lewy

I just bought one of these..... before I knew of this site's existence or read this thread. Should arrive tomorrow. I just took a gamble. Despite comments about the price, I don't know of a cheaper TS808-alike available in the UK or shipped to the UK once you consider the cost of shipping and duty (anyone?)

I searched and found the previous thread. Interesting comments. I hope the box isn't as flimsy as someone said it might be, otherwise my first ever stompbox project is going to be re-housing it in something a bit more sturdy (I can live without the chick-pic.....that wasn't part of the buying decision!)

If anyone wants pics of the inside to verify some of the points made in this thread or the previous one then let me know.

Lewy

jsleep

He's using my layout and he now has my permission to do so.

JD Sleep
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

lewy

Quote from: jsleepHe's using my layout and he now has my permission to do so.

JD Sleep

So all's well that ends well (assuming it sounds good!).

Marvellous.

Hal

Quote from: Fret WireI'm gonna sell one of my Ge Fuzz Faces on Ebay next week. And I'm not bashful about showing my pcb layout. :P

What do you think I should ask for it? I do have 60 man hours biasing the tranny trimpots. Just so the Dallas Arbiter purists don't get upset, the bottom eight trimpots are for biasing the LED brightness. As you can see, I didn't stray too far from the Dallas ckt. I can't show the top graphics without a signed waiver, it's Rosanne Barr in a thong :shock:

huh?  I dont think i get this....

Fret Wire

Quote from: Hal
huh?  I dont think i get this....

It's a little fun there Hal. It's also related to the past thread about the pedal this guy put out. I think most people got it.

JD, glad to see it's licensed.

Lewy, judging from his finishing work, I'm sure he can solder and wire fine. If he used JD's layout and board, it'll sound just fine.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

petemoore

I count two dozen trimpots ... what kinda biasing are you doing withthe "FF"  :lol:
 I also count 11 eight legged bugs in there too, are all these chips FF bias related also?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

cd

Fret Wire - what is that thing?!?!?!

Fret Wire

Pete, the spider leg things are military Ge's recently recently declassified for sale......lol.

cd: I'm not sure...an ADA delay? Someone posted a pic of it last year, and I saved it. It's both funny and awesome at the same time. Incredible workmanship.

Even though this guy has JD's permission, he's smart not to show pics of his ckt. The majority of non DIY people just want to know what features the pedal has, and what it'll do sound wise.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

csj

I remember it as being the latest analog delay from Maxon. It looks alot like my Maxon AD900.

I'm sure your new pedal will sound good Lewy. Forget about the flimsyness thing and all that. Alot of times we just rag on other people who are doing constructive things with their time that we're not... and maybe we're a little jealous - I'm probably the most guilty of this here.  (To my shame). Get it, play the heck out of it, see what you think and then maybe just bring it around here to mod it yourself sometime.

cd

Analog delay, that makes sense.  Going by the shape of the case, lack of a battery holder, etc. it's probably the AD-900.  I wonder why they used a 4PDT switch (and how much it costs!!)