Phaser on ELO's "Strange Magic"?

Started by gorohon, August 16, 2004, 11:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorohon

Anyone familiar with that song would know what I'm talking about.  I would like to find out what kind of phaser was used for that song as well as know what phaser to build that would come close to that sound. It's not a subtle phase effect, for sure.  I'm trying to figure out if it's a case of having alot of regeneration, lots of stages, or possibly both.
"Come on in...I've got caaandy!" H.S.

bwanasonic

If I am not mistaken that's done the old phasioned way - by using two tape decks. That is the effect stompbox FX were trying to emulate.

Kerry M

zachary vex

it may have been an eventide instant phaser or instant flanger.

http://www.modezero.com/instant_phaser.htm

Rodgre

That era, probably the Eventide, but you can get a similar effect from a Boss Super Phasor or the Boss Microrack Phasor. It sounds like there are a lot of stages in that phasor!

I love the second prechorus where they double the phasor with a string part!

Roger

Vsat

I've wondered about that one as well! Sounds something like the built-in phaser in the ARP Quadra synthesizer (which came out '80 or '81), produces great sounding strings which are even nicer with the phaser switched on.. is there a gear list in the credits?
Mike

gorohon

I checked out that link on Mode Zero for the Eventide Phaser.  Holy crap, that thing is big!  Those caps are huge!   How many stages does the Eventide  have anyway?  It looks like eight, but that doesn't sound excessive.
"Come on in...I've got caaandy!" H.S.