OT: PRS "Sweet Switch"?

Started by lovekraft0, August 17, 2004, 04:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lovekraft0

Anybody know what's in Paul's little mystery box? It's obviously some kind of passive filter, supposedly designed to emulate the losses in long cable runs. Any insight would be truly appreciated.

cd

It's just a cap to ground.  PRS used to use them instead of a variable tone control, got rid of them around '91 or so.  Still available as a custom option, but with push/pull pots and the different switching options available these days (not to mention the improvement in their stock pickups) it's pretty useless.

If you want to roll your own, start with .001uf and work your way up 'til you find a sound you like.  If you want to REALLY dully your tone, try a 10k resistor to ground and work your way up from there.

lovekraft0

Well, the current incarnation has four terminals (only three are used), so should I assume he's added a fixed resistor(?) to the signal path for a classic single pole lowpass filter? Here's his wiring schematic:
Sweet Swich Wiring
Looks exactly like the way I would wire a tone pot bypass switch. Thanks for the heads up, I'll play with it.