PEACH FUZZ! [NO BIAS???]

Started by brian wenz, August 17, 2004, 10:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    Building the Peach Fuzz [or, Peachy Fuzz]  and noticed that no matter what resistor I put on Q2's collector [even  tried leaving it OPEN  and tried wiring it straight to the 680K..] it did not alter the voltage reading!!  The circuit sounds and reads the same no matter what!!
I need some education here!
Brian.

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brian wenz

Hello Pete--
   Do you have the Peachy Fuzz schematic handy?  The  bias res. for Q2 is specified as 6.8K [I think..] but it makes no difference what value I use 'cuz the bias just stays the same!  There must be something about this circuit that I don't understand..
Brian.

brett

Hi Brian.  This sounds VERY strange.  With no resistor, the collector has to be reading the supply voltage, right?  With no resistor, there won't be any voltage variation, so the signal can't be amplified. :?:

Maybe check with an audio probe that there is a signal at the collector as well as the emitter (since both get tapped for output).

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

brian wenz

Hello Brett--
     Have you seen the schematic of the Peach Fuzz?  It's actually an old 60's fuzz circuit that someone named "Peach Fuzz".   It has pretty strange [to me, anyway] values for some of the resistors.  [4.7Meg feedback res.!!]   The collector and emmiter both read the same voltage [about 4v], so that seems pretty odd, too.
Try to do a search for the schematic...it was posted a few weeks ago.
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello Brett Again--
    The "Peach Fuzz " thread is on page 8  of the forum.
Brian.

casey

hey guys,

the peach fuzz was redrawn incorrectly....when another forumite
reposted it....

the real deal schematic is on this page:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v324/caseyseffectpage/

it's the one with the fingers with the happy face...
you'll see what i mean...
i listed the part values in that previously mentioned thread....

good luck to you...
Casey Campbell

casey

Quote from: brian wenzHello Brett--
     Have you seen the schematic of the Peach Fuzz?  It's actually an old 60's fuzz circuit that someone named "Peach Fuzz".   It has pretty strange [to me, anyway] values for some of the resistors.  [4.7Meg feedback res.!!]   The collector and emmiter both read the same voltage [about 4v], so that seems pretty odd, too.
Try to do a search for the schematic...it was posted a few weeks ago.
Brian.

would you like for me to email the original to you?
Casey Campbell

brian wenz

Hello Hello Casey--
    I thought that the only difference between the original schematic and the redrawn one was that the switching was removed.  I used the redrawn one to build it and I can't see where the differences are on the original  [a little hard to read..]
Thanks for all your help!
Brian.

casey

Quote from: brian wenzHello Hello Casey--
    I thought that the only difference between the original schematic and the redrawn one was that the switching was removed.  I used the redrawn one to build it and I can't see where the differences are on the original  [a little hard to read..]
Thanks for all your help!
Brian.

let me know if you get it going...id like to hear a build report on it.
Casey Campbell

brian wenz

Hello Casey--
    Is there anything "wrong" with the redrawn schematic.??  I followed it perfectly and then all my troubles began!   Is there something in the original that I'm missing?
Brian.

brett

Hi.  Unfortunately, I can't access the link above.  But from what I remember, the peach fuzz is very similar to the ETI fuzz over at fuzzcentral;

I haven't built it, but I hope this helps.
good luck
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

brett

Oops! that didn't work for some reason.  Try these links to the 1967 fuzz box.  The schematic is very clear.
http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/articles.html
Brett Robinson

brian wenz

Hello Brett-
     I built up another version and I'm not too impressed........also still can't figure out why the bias res. on Q2 collector as no affect on the bias!
I found another fuzz circuit at Casey's site that is almost the same except it uses a higher gain tranny for Q2....maybe I'll try that.
Thanks-
Brian.

casey

Quote from: brettHi.  Unfortunately, I can't access the link above.  But from what I remember, the peach fuzz is very similar to the ETI fuzz over at fuzzcentral;

I haven't built it, but I hope this helps.
good luck

it's not a tripod site.....  i tried it, and it worked....try again?  :D

http://photobucket.com/albums/v324/caseyseffectpage/
Casey Campbell

casey

Quote from: brian wenzHello Brett-
     I built up another version and I'm not too impressed........also still can't figure out why the bias res. on Q2 collector as no affect on the bias!
I found another fuzz circuit at Casey's site that is almost the same except it uses a higher gain tranny for Q2....maybe I'll try that.
Thanks-
Brian.

did you ever get it working...any plethora of fuzz goodness?  :)
Casey Campbell

casey

i just reposted the pic on my site...it's a much cleaner version now.
Casey Campbell

brian wenz

Hello Casey--
   Thanks, I'll give it a good look
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   Alright, I got it working!  Sounds pretty good, too.  I wonder what the really high resistor values do to make the circuit sound this way???  I'd like to get some input on this circuit and maybe build some other similar ones  [three-tranny???]
 The bias voltage from Q2's collector still stays the same  [around 3.5 v - 4v] no matter WHAT VALUE resistor I stick in there, though!   WHY IS THIS HAPPENING???   Like I posted earlier, the voltage stays the same even without a resistor in it!!
 Bring on the experts!
Brian.

lightningfingers

I remember seeing a schematic of an effect called "Peachy Fuzz"......it had a really weird bypass switch, is this the same one?
U N D E F I N E D