OT fun with levitation

Started by zachary vex, August 18, 2004, 12:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary vex

i recently met with Matt Bellamy of Muse and showed him an idea i have for a custom effect to install in his guitars (he uses my fuzz factory and wah probe in a couple of his guitars already) and he loved it, but i also brought him a small gift of a magnetic levitation experiment i built up from a kit (the company has gone out of business but there are others and you can easily build your own.)

here's one method... this is a piece of pyrolytic graphite floating about 1mm above 9 magnets arranged
NSN
SNS
NSN

you can get those parts at sci-toys.com

i built up a plastic version of this one here for matt, which floats a magnet:

here are some more links:

www.magnetlevitation.com
        www.fieldlines.com/other/diamag1.html 
        www.physics.ucla.edu/marty/diamag/
        www.sensorsmag.com/articles/0301/30/main.shtml
        davidfiedler.com/levitation.htm
        www.erg.sri.com/automation/diamagnetic.html
        www.otherpower.com/newmaglev.html
        www.hep.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/diamagnetic.pdf
        www.matchrockets.com/ether/diacglev.html
        www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/3075/maglev.html
        kuestler.bei.t-online.de/whatis.htm
        www.hfml.sci.kun.nl/levitate.html
        www.scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/magnets/suspension.html
        www.scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/magnets/pyrolytic_graphite.html
        4ua.com/scitoys/cgi-bin/shop.exe?page=magnet_desc.html
        www.jclahr.com/science/physics/diamag/phillips.html
        www.rnw.nl/science/html/magnets990813.html
        www.phys.ens.fr/~schreck/MagicMagnets/
        www.graphitemachininginc.com/page7.htm
        www.spmtips.com/products/hopg/
        www.geocities.com/meredithlamb/page061.html
        www.geocities.com/meredithlamb/page060.html
        www.geocities.com/meredithlamb/index.html
        www.graphite-eng.com/

mikeb

Bah! No need for magnets or what-not, just seek enlightenment and attain nirvana! :)

I wonder if I can get my hands on something equivalent down here....

Mike

zachary vex

sci-toys will ship you stuff wherever you want... there's a calculator on his site that figures the price with shipping... i'm ordering a steam-powered boat and some liquid metal right now!  8^)

on edit:  oops, you have to use a credit card, no paypal.

Dan N

zachary vex

yeah, right, you are at a DIY stompbox forum calling me a nerd.  hah!  you're knee-deep in nerds, nerd!

8^)

onboard

Hmmmmm....a pyrolytic graphite outfit and huge enough magnets...David Letterman's Wall of Velcro suddenly seems tame. :wink:

-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

mikeb

I'll have to get out my VISA from the depths of my pet kangaroo's pouch, but it can be done.

As a general rule, anything sold in 'vials' is cool and interesting ... especially so if it is sold in 'ampoules'! :)

Mike

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: zachary vexyeah, right, you are at a DIY stompbox forum calling me a nerd.  hah!  you're knee-deep in nerds, nerd!

8^)

:mrgreen:

Nerd, and pround of it! ;)

(Pretty cool stuff Zach! 8))
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

zachary vex

Peter Snowberg

Hehehe.

That's what I get for typing one handed while watching TV at the same time.

zachary vex

man, that really didn't sound very good either!

i hope you were holding the remote in the other!

Peter Snowberg

Naw... T'was scratching the cat behind her ears with the other. :D (as I was distracted by a Seinfeld re-run)

She attemps levitation, but gravity wins every time. :D

Athin

I've got a magazine with maglev done with a trannie and a regulator - it keeps a metal ball floating an inch under the trannie.
DIY XOR die.

zachary vex

that takes power.  this system is perpetual and requires no external energy.  theoretically, you could make the magnet spin forever in a vacuum.

petemoore

That would be cool...cool stuff.
 The trains that ride on a 'magnet cushion' ...take alot of current but are nonetheless amazing, from what I gather the floating' graphite is doing somewhat the 'same' thing.
 The only way I think of right off to use for stomps is using it as an LED/LDR light shield, might take some doing to find out it's not possible...
 Cool stuff all the more, can I borrow a pen?...nerd to the rescue!!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Hal

Quote from: zachary vexthat takes power.  this system is perpetual and requires no external energy.  theoretically, you could make the magnet spin forever in a vacuum.

I understand that there's no friction in this case, but wouldn't it dissipate energy in the form of an induced electical field, somewhere...?

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: HalI understand that there's no friction in this case, but wouldn't it dissipate energy in the form of an induced electical field, somewhere...?
I think you're right. The flux it's floating on is square shapped like the graphite so rotation is bound to generate eddy currents.

zachary vex

hmmph... eddy currents in the graphite.  that sucks.  but keep in mind, the poles are at right angles to the graphite (and everything else nearby is made of wood.)  because it's spinning on it's axis through the poles it may not induce eddy currents anywhere at all!