Yamaha FC5 footswitch / diy?

Started by Mann, August 18, 2004, 06:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mann

I have an old Yamaha REX50 effect box and I need a footswitch for
changing the patches and the switch is FC5 which comes too as a
sustain pedal with electr.pianos. Is it possible to make one yourself
and If, which kind of a switch is needed and how should it be connected?

petemoore

I built a good sustain pedal from popcycle sticks...
 Two longer [about half a Popstick] sections sandwiching a shorter section, and copper wires wrapped and soldered around the tips of the 'tweezer' like breakpoints on an older automobile except open until you press them together...still works perfect.
 Basically not too hard to make a momentary switch or nonmomentary [your choice] for those 'short to ground' flip flop actuators...open is effect off, closed is effect on...or reverse, depending...
 I always worry if the switch doesn't use a different method, and if I'm gonna mess up shorting to ground...a quick look at the old switch or research...I don't know if you can mess one of these up or not just connecting the tip to sleeve...I think most all of the 'on off' type internal switches [that use external actuator] are short to ground types, expression pedals are different.
 I need an expression pedal for my Yamaha Motif' keyboard...and am useing a 'short to ground' actuator pedal for the sustain...connects/disconnects tip to sleeve connection of cable plugged into 'sustain' jack.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.