Looking for simple nice sounding boost

Started by shawsofhell, August 18, 2004, 07:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawsofhell

I need to put a boost in a overdrive circuit I'm building for someone (the overdrive is the black cat OD-1). I was thinking a LBP or maybe the jfet boost from T. Escobedo's circuit snippets. Any suggestions?

RLBJR65

I just built an R.O.G. FetzerValve the other day easy build, nice clean mild booster / preamp. Might be just what you need to put in front of another OD to push it over the top.
Richard Boop

shawsofhell

I'm not sure if the OD-1 would respond well to having the boost infront overdriving it. I was thinking more after the overdrive to push the amp and also offer a boost to the clean signal when the overdrive is not engaged?

cd

Have you actually built the OD-1 yet?  Believe me, it's loud as all f***.  You won't need to boost the clean tone.

shawsofhell

yeah but the guy I'm building it for specifically asked to have the OD-1 and to have a boost that could be switched on seperately.

petemoore

I do that on boxes...
 when a certain effect works best with the volume 'up' putting a boost on the other side [where bypass would go] helps things out so when you hit the button on the box the floor doesn't drop out totally [major volume drop], it goes to a presetable  boost  level...
 Putting boost before a seriously already distortin/boostin' circuit can be a bit too much.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

There's a bunch of nice boosts out there. Ask your friend whether he wants a transparent boost or something that colors the tone. The various mosfet boosters don't color too much, the jfet and transistor ones do.

RDV

shawsofhell

will the mosfet and fetzer break up nicely if the overdrive is really cranking behind them?

Gilles C

Quote from: shawsofhellyeah but the guy I'm building it for specifically asked to have the OD-1 and to have a boost that could be switched on seperately.

Can't you just switch the gain from low to high with a switchable resistor in the feedback loop.

You could even use a 500K pot in place of the 470K and make it a gain pot. You could connect/disconnect the wiper (pin 2) of the pot from one of the end to switch from 470K to whatever value adjusted with the pot.

Added: I checked a few schematics for examples of that, and found this one, but with a variation. Capacitors are also used.

http://www.geocities.com/greene_pedals/pdf/scrmr.pdf