BSIAB II Built and working !!

Started by MartyMart, August 18, 2004, 11:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

Just finished my second "from scratch" build and chose the BSIAB II from all the great comments you guys made about it........ WOW WOW  :D
I am one happy bunny right now, Many thanks to Ed G for an inspired design and also RDV for some tips on careful wiring with a perf board.
This thing beats any pedal i've bought/modded and thats a lot of stompers!
Go build one now !! ( photos tomorrow as i'm rockin out with it now! )
Cheers, all,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

RDV

What's incredible to me is how I never take the gain above 12:00 and it still roars and switches feedback registers and stuff.

RDV

remmelt

did you build it on perf?
do you have the layout? i would like to try this one as well!

thanks in advance!!

MartyB

Congrats on your build.  Apologies if this is addressed in a prev thread, but  how much more do people like the BSIABII vs. the orig. BSIAB  (I've got this one and love it).  What's the 'improvement factor'?

Ed G.

MartyB,
I'd like to hear others weigh in also on the BSIAB vs the BSIAB II.
Mainly, I started with the BSIAB and tried to improve it in a couple of ways: I wanted to make it a bit more "punchier" and alive-sounding, I wanted to make it have more clarity and work with neck and humbucker pickups better, and make the drive knob useable, so you could turn it down and get a bluesier overdrive, but still have plenty of gain so that the hot licks can ring out with lots of sustain and fluidity.
One other improvement is the elimination of that pesky oscillation (squeal)

MartyMart

Thanks guys,
The perfboard build followed the schem/layout almost exactly, i just had to line up a few components a little neater and used a few cross board runs with shielded wire ( solid core ).
I'm afraid i dont know the sound of the BSIAB I, as i have not built it, all i can say is that this version sounds great on both single coil and humbuckers, the only problem i'm having is on low gain or low input from guitar, i get singnal breakup/drop out so need to investigate that one.
Cheers,
Marty  ( pics are up in another post if you're interested ) :D
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

RDV

Quote from: MartyMartThe only problem i'm having is on low gain or low input from guitar, i get singnal breakup/drop out so need to investigate that one.
Have you tried adjusting the trimpot while it's doing this?

RDV

MartyMart

No !  but i will now, its set to 12 o'clock right now  how is it affecting the input amount/buffer ??
Thanks, Marty.

RDV

MartyMart

Very interesting, backed off to about 10 o'clock solves the problem, no break up on lower input from the guitar, above 12 o'clock you get an almost "gate" effect where there's no noise at all from the pedal 'til you strike a chord etc !!  kind of useful eh? if you just wanted "full on metal" and no subtle volume changes.
Or give the guitarist some sheet music, he's sure to turn down then !! lol :D
Marty.

petemoore

BSIAB...mine was waiting for J201's but seems to have somehow totally dis appeared...I will look for it againagin...DAFT
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ed G.

Quote from: MartyMartVery interesting, backed off to about 10 o'clock solves the problem, no break up on lower input from the guitar, above 12 o'clock you get an almost "gate" effect where there's no noise at all from the pedal 'til you strike a chord etc !!  kind of useful eh? if you just wanted "full on metal" and no subtle volume changes.
Or give the guitarist some sheet music, he's sure to turn down then !! lol :D
Marty.

That's not normal, one of the fets is misbiased.

Lonestarjohnny

Ed did a great job on this 1, it'll keep ya busy and happy for hour's just playin that guitar, I have both pedal's, I traded for the BSIAB and built the ll myself, I find both pedal's to be very useful in developeing a tone, I do favor the BSIAB ll a lil more exspeshily when played through my 65 Super, What a tone, if you don't got a Super your missin a lot of fun to be had with this Bad Puppy !
Thank's Ed,
Johnny

Michael Allen

Just wrapped up mine. I am impressed!! It's got quite a midrange hump to my ears. Also sounds a little too beefy on my guitars (both humbuckers).

What parts should I start changing? I think that playing with the Tone values will solve the midrange issue but how should I go about reducing the bass content?

Excellent work Ed!!