News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Ropez mods?

Started by Aharon, August 18, 2004, 12:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aharon

I have always wanted to build the Ropez but was thwarted  by not being able to find the chips locally.Finally I got an order out to Small BEar.
The question now is,with so many possibilities I don't want the unit stock.I have a copy of the MArk HAmmer mods and have identified the spots for them on the schem except the resonance control(mod one).
MAybe somebody can explain that one better.

There's also the Tonepad mods which have a Vibrato sw(understood) and and 2 filter switches,what do those do and are they compatible with the univibe mod?.
Thanks to all.
Aharon
Aharon

Mark Hammer

The phasefilter mod is compatible with the Univibe mod, but it will sound different.  Not worse or better, just different.

The number of mods feasible is substantial.  So much so that the number of toggles and accompanying lead wires you'd need to have would be awkward and a potential source of error or noise.  What I did was simply make up a double board with a pair of Ropez PCBs, using Francisco Pena's excellent compact layout at Tonepad.  One is hardwired for Univibe function (with vibrato option), and the other for phaser/phasefilter.  They also share a ganged-LFO option, where the LFO of one unit can drive all 8 OTAs in both devices.  Rate-setting caps for each LFO are selected appropriately.  Univibes don't focus the phasing effect enough to make much use of slower speeds, so I made the LFO speed range a little slower for the phaser than for the Univibe.  I forget what the actual cap values are, and since the board is 3800km away, I'm not about to dig it up and tell you.

Beyond the possibility of eliminating a rats-nest of wires and toggles, there are a few advantages to this arrangement.  Not only can you have an instant changeover from Univibe to phasing, but you can get two different preset speeds, tinker with the serial order of phasing univibing, get 8-stage vibrato (with one LFO driving the whole mess), get semi-random vibrato (both units set for vibrato, but with different speeds), and numerous other things.  It's not exactly a Mutron Bi-Phase, but the number of interesting possibilities is in the same zone.  I recommend it.

BTW, Supremetronic should have 13600's.

Aharon

Thanks MArk for the help.I can't wait to build this,it had to be you that came up with the mods!!!!!!!!!

Been to Supreme and depending who is behind the counter you get diferent stories,one never heard of them the other said out of stock don't know when i get more.
I love them and they love me but if it's not on the shelf "fergetit".
Such a shame what happened to the surplus next door(afectionately known as the Monkey Store)there's nothing there like in the old days.
Thanks
Aharon
Aharon