LFO power supply

Started by lightningfingers, August 18, 2004, 04:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightningfingers

Hey All,

Its about the EZvibe (again :oops: )

I'm using a non stock LFO, and when I first built it, and it wiped a duracellPP3 in about 2 hrs, so I gave it its own 9V battery inside the box, which did not greatly improve things. So I decided to move to using 6 AAs to make 9V, looking at the datasheet these would last much longer. But I don't have enough enclosure-real estate to house 6 AAs :x , I only have room for 3. I know the bulb will work on 4.5V, (but will a TL061?) infact it shines BRIGHTER with 3 AAs than 1 9V!

So, short of pulling the circuit apart and re-biasing it for 4.5V what could I do?

I'm sure the TL061 will work at 4.5V, wasn't it purposely designed to run on low power?[/url]

EDIT: :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  could I use a MAX1044 to raise the supply voltage? Would that push up the current consumption too much?
U N D E F I N E D

petemoore

I use a  DC adaptor and a LM317 regulator.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gez

It's not really clear from your post what you're trying to do.  LFOs don't normally consume much power so I take it the battery sucking is a result of you using a lamp/lamps?

Unless you post a schemtic and explain what you're trying to do it's hard to advise.

ICL7611 (single) and ICL7621 (dual) will run at 4.5V, though it's unclear as to why you want to do this.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

Ahh, I think I understand now.  You're using lamps and they're more efficient at that voltage using the AA batteries.  Follow Pete's advice and run this off the mains.  Why do you think the univibe was mains powered?

Even if you do try and run the whole thing at 4.5V you'll most likely need to re-jig the LFO as the amplitude of its output waveform will be smaller.  

Just use a decent wall-wart and have done with it.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

petemoore

I dOn't KNoW MINES riGhT, [sorry about the capitols..]
 but much below 9v [7,5v I think] the whole shooting match shuts down, at 4.5v you surely wont' have much headroom...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

lightningfingers

i'm using a small light bulb, instead of the 4 LEDs because it gets the LDRs resistance lower, (thus getting a bit closer to the original sound)

I want to use AAs because they're more efficient than the regular 9V ones but I don't have enough space for 6.

So i'm trying to make it run at 4.5V.

And a wallwart was my first thought; I got as far as buying a DC jack but there are only two outlets in my bedroom, both with 4 plugs in them :?

So it looks like its time for a new LFO :x
U N D E F I N E D

smoguzbenjamin

Mate, buy one of those extension cords with 8 outlets on them. You're never going to use 15 amps of current anyway, I have 3 outplets in my room and about 12 mains-eating appliances. I don't even get up to 6 amps when everything's on ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

lightningfingers

I dunno about that, together me and my roomate have blown circuit breakers (and other things :roll: ) in the past through plugging in too many music releated appliances into too few sockets.
U N D E F I N E D

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Might be worth a try with more efficient leds?? they vary a lot!