what pedal should I build next?

Started by Hal, August 18, 2004, 10:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hal

ok sorry for the really terrible thread, but I wanna know!  requirements: intermediateish difficulty...And not another basic fuzz.  Besides for that, I have no preferance:

I was thinking of:
a ROG amp emulator (english channel or 18 probably)
Orange Squeezer
Phase 90
Boss Slow Gear
octavia

ok yea thats really broad, but I dont have enough $$$ to make 'em all!

Bent Penguin

Phase 90, I have a real one and I love it.

Fret Wire

I second the P-90. Try Tonepad's build.
It's not intermediate though, more on the advanced side. The slow gear is even more complicated. The others are nothing to sweat over. If you do the phase-90, you can surely do the Dyna-Comp.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Hal

i can handle an advanced build, I just dont want some1 to send me a 10,000 part synth build and say "do that!"

Its more about cost than anything, I think.

Fret Wire

Than go with the phase-90. Great phaser.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

petemoore

Orange Squeezer, not expensive, except maybe the debug time, nice toney very gentle sounding compression
 Phase 90: Great sounding Phazer, be prepared for Jfet Matching.
 Boss Slow Gear...{looks extensive, havene't tried] dont really know what it does, ..reverse attack i think.
 octavia...I thought I had one working great , had trubbles, need to try this one again, I can't tell you if it's a 'wire it up and fire it up', seemed always to be actin' 'lil 'funny...I don't think I ever really looked at pin Voltages on that one tho
 I just built an inductorless wah, pretty neat widget, can be tuned, I plan to try driving it and stuff see what it really does...need the box and all for that, makes a cool tunable mid sqwonker with table-box parts and a 500k pot...I have another wah in case with treadle wah control, just needs pot and switch, rugged lookin' homemade wah...uses EZ find standard 100k pot.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Michael Allen

I've been cooking up a Slow Gear layout for some time. Wanna help test it?

Hal

Quote from: Michael AllenI've been cooking up a Slow Gear layout for some time. Wanna help test it?

I actually already have a different layout at home.  I think it might even be the official boss one....I think i'd rather use a known good then a new one :-D sorry.

Michael Allen

Come on baby, where's your sense of adventure!?  :)

RDV

The Phase45 is a nice intermediate build, and quite a useful little bugger to boot!

So's my HMP lite.
Just use a 1uF cap instead of the jumper.

RDV

Paul Marossy

I love my Phase 45. It's exactly what I want, and it's not too complicated to build. FWIW.

petemoore

PCB's, make it easier to get right the high parts count of say a phazer wired right.
 the 45and the 90 I did on perf...but was half cross-eyed for a couple days... :lol:
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fret Wire

Both the 45 & 90 are good choices. Two things that will make either build go smoother. Used matched JFET's (5952 preferably), and use a 500k rev. log for the speed pot. Other tapers will work, but the rev. log works the best. Small Bear stocks them. No sense subbing components if you don't have to. If you build the 90, you'll have to decide first if you want the infamous "R28" (22k) feedback resistor. The original script 90 didn't have it. For a good reason too. It gives the distorted mid-boost that makes it sound good with distortion, and useless with clean tones. Colors your tone bad. Try a reissue and you'll know what I mean. You can wire the resistor to a toggle switch to have both the script and  the modern sounds. If you don't want a switch, just leave it out. Van Halen made the script version famous, then MXR and later Dunlop added the resistor to help imitate his sound.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)