Footswitch for Vox amp

Started by shudder, August 20, 2004, 03:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shudder

Pardon my utter newbie-ness...  I have never made a stomp-box of any kind, although I've been thinking of getting into it, and I've read a bunch of basics on a few sites.

Anyway, I have (or am about to acquire, actually) a Vox Valvetronix Ad30vt amp.  You can optionally buy the VFS2 foorswitch for it.  The first switch switches the channel, and the second switches the multi-effects bypass.  Any idea on how to construct such an apparatus?  The commercial footswitch really doesn't cost that much (~$30 USD), but it would be a cool project to try to make one.

Thanks in advance...

RickL

That's almost certainly just two spst switches going to ground. One switch will connect between the tip and the sleeve, the other between the ring and the sleeve (the sleeve is the ground). Without looking inside the actual footswitch it's impossible to tell if the switches are push-on/push-off or momentary but it's easy enough to figure out.

Plug a stereo cable into the footswitch jack on the amp. Short the tip to the sleeve and see what happens. If touching and releasing changes the state (switches channels or turns the effects on or off) then touching again changes the state back you'll need momentary switches. If you have to keep the tip and sleeve shorted to keep the state changed and it changes back as soon as you stop shorting, you'll need push-on/push-off switches.

When wired up one lug of each switch will connnect to the sleeve, the other lug of one switch will connect to the tip and the other lug of the second switch will connect to the ring.

shudder

Thanks a lot!  This forum is awesome!  All these newb posts get answered so quickly and comprehensively.  I will (eventually) get around to trying this out.  I think this is would a super easy introduction to stompboxin', no? (well, clearly it would be :)).  Thanks again!