DOD fx56 American Metal schematic now available!

Started by dolhop, August 20, 2004, 10:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dolhop

I have posted the schematic for the DOD fx56 American Metal on my site for anyone interested.  

http://bcsixty.tripod.com/fx56/

I also have posted the schematic for the Ibanez Metal Screamer MSL pedal which I traced out last month.

Enjoy.

Gilles C

Haha! did I see a J113 FET for the switching there...?  :P

Thanks

Gilles

Zero the hero

cd

Funny, the gain stages and clipping setup on the FX56 is very, very similar to a boutique pedal that people rave over.  Should be a good candidate for mods.

dolhop

petemoore

Very interesting, that one opamp sure has it's share of diodes!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

WGTP

It is a clone of the Boss Heavy Metal Pedal.  Same op-amp clipping diode layout  I have an old Dod pedal labeled something else that has American Metal on the circuit board.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Peter Snowberg

I've got an HM-2 and thought that clipper looked very similar to the schemaic I remember. :D

It's not my favorite guitar sound, but try running a Hammond B3 through one and then into a Leslie!  :shock:  8)  :twisted: It nails some amazing classic B3 grinds and sound like a musical power tool.

Does this mean there's a boutique HM-2 out there?

Note to builders, try removing the active EQ (U2 & U3) and replacing it with a Marshall tonestack. ;)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

cd

Notice I didn't mention the pedal in the first place :)  My intention was to give some props to DOD and to suggest a good cheap pedal for mods.  Combine some of the ideas at Jack Orman's site and RG Keen's site and you'll have a very nice pedal.

dolhop

I wasn't that impressed with the sound and so I sold the pedal - but since I'd never seen the schematic on the web I figured others could benefit from it.  Maybe Aron will add it to his collection of schematics (along with the Metal Screamer).

As for resuing circuitboards - that is a very common thing to do with pedals - it saves the company a lot of money to reuse the PCB design since many of the pedals are identical other than a few component changes.  Take the metal screamer for example - EXACTLY the same as the TS-10 tube screamer except for the tone capacitor value.  

I was modding my FX53 classic tube pedal yesterday and the board says FX50B on it (but they actually crossed out the 50B with a marker and wrote FX53!).  Same pedal just different components.  I removed the tone section and changed it to a wet/dry blend (so my bass player can use it).

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Transmogrifox

I've seen this schem somewhere else.  There's something wrong in the EQ section.  The lows on my American metal pedal are adjustable...maybe it's a feature they added to later designs?  It would be a very simple thing to do.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

dolhop

Quote from: TransmogrifoxI've seen this schem somewhere else.  There's something wrong in the EQ section.  The lows on my American metal pedal are adjustable...maybe it's a feature they added to later designs?  It would be a very simple thing to do.

You must have the FX56-B Super American Metal - same purple colour - and basically the same pedal other than the added bass knob/control.

Transmogrifox

That's it!  Thanks for clarifying, dolhop.  There's the difference--I do have the FX56-B super american metal.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

p1_ind

I have one of these pedals and was wondering
how is the best way to add a mid control and a bass control
as this unit has a huge low end.

Adam

guitarhacknoise

Thanks dolhop!
busted that a.m. monkey out of 'er peaceful slumber at the bottom of a milk crate, ain't used it since the 'ol hardcore days. little contact cleaner to get the beer out of there ( beer and pot are a bad combo). placed her on the project shelf, now all I have to do is get to every thing that landed on that plank before the "amer-etal" ,fixed, done, returned, given-away, or just plain thrown out!
maybe it's time for that vacation.
-matthias
"It'll never work."

GreenEye

I never met a DOD pedal I liked.

dolhop

The distortions are usually lacking, but some of the modulation effects can be useful.  However, DOD pedals are well built and IMO have a better, more functional shape than the boss/ibanez type of pedal.  If you're into making your own pedals, the DOD chassis are great if you can get them cheap.

GreenEye

I thought DOD pedals were known for their bad foot switches.  The black plastic ones that turn on and off when you breathe on 'em.  Don't those things break all the time?  At any rate, their shape is rather nice.  Compact.  And I like the battery access.

dolhop

I've never had switch trouble, but I could see it being a problem.