News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

which diode?

Started by nosamiam, August 21, 2004, 04:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosamiam

Hi all,
I'm pretty much finished building Moosapotamus' Bass Paralooper ( http://www.moosapotamus.com/paraloop/paraloop.htm ) and looks halfway decent.  But it doesn't work.  LED's work great, but that's about it.  The layout on the page is a little tricky to follow, but I'm pretty sure I got it right.

I haven't actually hooked it up to my rig yet, but I know something's amiss because it only reads 1.4V at the 9V input on the board.  Straight from the battery there's almost no juice.

I've checked and rechecked everything I can think of except.... the diode.  Moosapotamus doesn't give a diode type on the site and when I started building I figured I'd just throw in whatever I had laying around and fix it later if need be ( I know, not smart).  Well, here I am: non-working pedal, no idea what diode to use.

I put in a 1N914/4148.  I also have a 1N4001 that I could use.  Would that do it?

If not, can anyone hook me up with a Mouser Part#, or better yet a Radio Shack part#?

I really appreciate your help, folks.  I can't imagine what people did before sites like this one were around!!

Ge_Whiz

Looks like your diode is in the wrong way round, which case you may have cooked it. Take it out altogether, check the circuit to see if it works, and if so, replace it ensuring the banded end is connected to the +ve supply. It's there to prevent the circuit being damaged if the supply is accidentally connected the wrong way round.

A 1N4001 would be a better choice, and will be fine.

nosamiam

Yup, looks like it's oriented the wrong way.  Thanks! I'll put in the 1N4001 and put it the right way and hopefully that'll do it!!