MXR Dist + Pot

Started by mahoney, August 21, 2004, 04:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahoney

I just finished my first two projects, the MXR Dist + and the EH LPB, based upon the tonepad layouts (actually, I used the MicroAmp/Dist + layout).  The pot on the Dist + (R13) acts as a volume control; it can completely mute the signal.  Is that how it's supposed to be, or did I screw something up?

theaxeman

Sounds fine to me!

All the distortions i own (factory-made and DIY) do this.

mahoney

good...then I'm not crazy.  Well not too crazy...

Fret Wire

Are you sure you got the pot number right? They show R13 as the distortion/gain pot. R14 is the volume pot. The gain pot should not mute when it's all the way down, just have min. distortion. The volume pot will cut the volume completely off. What taper did you use? The dist. pot is rev. log.

Max distortion is when the pot is at zero resistance. Full resistance on the dist. pot is the min. gain, it shouldn't shunt the gain completely. If you used a straight log, and didn't rewire accordingly, that could happen.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

mahoney

I meant R14, oops.  I forgot the layout is a mirror image, or as some might say, "bassackwards"

Fret Wire

R14 is the volume pot and does kill all output. All is well then.
Well...how do you like it?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

mahoney

I love this effin' pedal!  I have an orange ad140 twin channel, and the dist + sounds SO good through it.  I couldn't have asked for anything more.